As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. There may be affiliate links within the post.
Delicious Easy Gingerbread Cookies that are simple to make gluten-free too. These adorable cookies are perfect for the holidays!
Before starting these Gingerbread Cookies, it’s important to note that they are a process. At least 2 hours is needed to chill the cookies before cutting them. It will be well worth it though, these gingerbread cookies are just the BEST for the holidays!
Tips for Making Easy Gingerbread Cookies:
The best option is to make the batter the night before and let it chill overnight. It’s a great way to prep-ahead so you don’t get too tired when making them. They are so cute and perfect for the holidays, they are well worth it.
We prefer to make the batter the night before, then the kids can get involved with cutting them out and decorating these cookies the next day.
This will actually make somewhere around 30-40 cookies depending on the size, it’s perfect to add a couple to a treat bag of goodies for the holiday.
If you enjoy these, another great idea to do with the kids is making a batch of homemade gingerbread playdough. This recipe is so fun to make with the kids, my kids enjoyed it when they were little.
How do you make Gluten-Free Gingerbread Cookies?
The only swap that you will need to make these gluten-free is a 1:1 gluten-free all-purpose flour. I use Better Batter; however, any 1:1 flour will do. Just use your personal favorite.
Of course, you will also want to check all the other ingredients you use to be sure they are gluten-free. Most of them will all be naturally gluten-free, but some candies and frosting can have it in there without you realizing it.
More Holiday Cookie Recipes:
Enjoy making these Easy Gingerbread Cookies!
- 1 Cup Unsalted Butter, Softened
- 1 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Cup Molasses
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 5 Cups Gluten-Free or Regular All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Tsp Ground Ginger
- 2 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1 1/2 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Allspice
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 3 Cups Powdered Sugar, Sifted
- 2-3 Tbsp Milk
- 1 Tsp Clear Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tbsp Light Corn Syrup
- Decorations (Candies, Sprinkles, Etc)
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter until light and fluffy.
- Add molasses and water and beat until well combined.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and add the additional dry ingredients.
- Gradually add dry ingredients to wet ingredients until well combined, scraping the sides.
- Divide dough in half and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Chill in the fridge for at least 2 hours or overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 350*F when ready to bake.
- Line the baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Remove from refrigerator and let warm up about 10 minutes.
- Roll out dough to 1/4 inch thickness on a lightly floured surface.
- Cut with cookie cutter and place on prepared baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until set around the edges.
- Remove and let cool slightly on a baking sheet, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Prepare icing, in a medium bowl combine the powdered sugar, corn syrup, clear vanilla extract (this makes icing very white, if regular is used it will have a brown tint), and 2 tbsp of milk.
- Whisk together an add more milk a little at a time if needed.
- Fit a decorator icing bag with a small round tip and fill with icing.
- Decorate as desired.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 40 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 179Total Fat: 5gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 12mgSodium: 68mgCarbohydrates: 33gFiber: 1gSugar: 20gProtein: 2g