Make the perfect Christmas cookies with these Old Fashioned Christmas Cookies, easy to make gluten-free too!
This classic sugar cookie recipe that we call, Old Fashioned Christmas Cookies, is our go-to recipe for cut-out cookies during the holidays.
This recipe is easy to make as either drop cookies or cut-out cookies, then you can get as creative as you want with a variety of frosting and toppings.
Tips for Making Old Fashioned Christmas Cookies:
If you are going to be making these as cut-out cookies, be sure to have additional flour on hand to roll out the cookies and not have them stick.
It’s best to use parchment paper with some flour on the paper and then work the dough a little at a time to create the cut-out cookies.
If you want to make these gluten-free, simply swap out the flour for gluten-free all-purpose flour. We use Better Batter to make ours and they work out wonderfully, just be sure to use a 1:1 flour so that it is an even swap.
The dough is much easier to work with if chilled first. They do setup without chilling; however, especially for cut-out cookies chilling the dough makes it less sticky to work with.
The butter needs to be softened when making this batter, not hard or too melted. We do this by simply setting the butter out early in the morning and making the cookies later in the day.
This means the butter has been at room temperature for about 6-8 hours, which makes it nice and soft.
How should you decorate these cookies?
These cookies can be decorated with homemade frosting, which we used whipped cream frosting, or a frosting of your choice.
Then, you can get creative with sprinkles or candies to top the cookies with. They can also be decorated with powdered sugar frosting too.
Enjoy these delicious Christmas Cookies!
Old Fashioned Christmas Cookies
- 1 Cup Butter Softened
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar Packed
- 2 Eggs
- 1/4 Cup plus 2 Tbsp Milk
- 2 Tsp Vanilla
- 4 Cups All Purpose Flour or Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Pint Heavy Whipping Cream
- 4 Tbsp Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 Tsp Vanilla
- Begin by creaming the butter, adding in the sugars, eggs, milk, and vanilla.
- Add in the flour, baking powder, and salt, mixing well.
- Chill the cookie dough in the fridge for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350*F.
- Drop tablespoon-size rolled balls of dough on a greased cookie sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes then remove from oven and let cool before moving to a wire rack to complete cooling.
- Once cookies are completely cooled. Whip together the whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla. Put it in a cake decorating bag with the 1M Wilton tip. Top the cookies with whipped cream then add the candies and sprinkles.
- Keep them in the fridge until ready to serve to avoid the whipped cream from melting.
- Makes about 4 dozen.