Fall is just around the corner and this Classic Caramel Sauce will come in handy for a variety of delicious fall desserts and of course ice cream too!
These past few weeks I’ve been sharing some great sauces to use for a variety of desserts such as this Strawberry Sauce and Hot Fudge Sauce. Today, let’s talk about this Classic Caramel Sauce that is also naturally gluten-free too.
Caramel Sauce may just be my absolute FAVORITE to make at home. It can be used for a variety of recipes such as topping it over ice cream or on top of pies, but it can be used for many more recipes too.
How can you use Caramel Sauce?
Using Caramel Sauce in recipes can be endless but here are a few of my favorite ways to use caramel sauce. My personal favorite happens to be all the coffee!
It can be used in Salted Caramel Mochas, Lattes, Hot Chocolate, and don’t forget…CARAMEL APPLES! This is perfect for dipping slices of apples in.
What do you need to make Caramel Sauce?
- Light Brown Sugar
- Heavy Whipping Cream
- Unsalted Butter
- Vanilla Extract
That’s all you need to make the best caramel sauce. These are the basic ingredients you will likely have on hand. It’s also important to use heavy WHIPPING cream, not just heavy cream. Be sure to purchase the ‘whipping’ cream as it gives the right consistency.
How long does Caramel Sauce last?
Once this caramel sauce is cooked, it can be stored in an airtight container. We like to use these mason jars with a tightly sealed lid. This can then be reheated in the microwave for 30 seconds at a time to reserve.
Caramel Sauce normally lasts up to 2 weeks in the fridge with an airtight container.
As we head into fall, I fully intend to have a jar of Classic Caramel Sauce on hand for all the fall desserts, but also my coffee. Caramel Lattes are the BEST in the fall months, don’t you think?
I intend to start my mornings with one and a drizzle of caramel sauce too.
Be sure to check out all the sauces too:
- 2 Cups Light Brown Sugar Packed
- 1 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/2 Cup 1 Stick Unsalted Butter
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp Vanilla Extract
- In a medium-sized saucepan, combine the brown sugar, butter, salt, and heavy whipping cream.
- Bring this to a boil on medium-high heat, stirring constantly for 5-7 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the vanilla extract.
- Let cool for about 3 minutes.
- Add to a jar or container with a lid.
- Serve immediately or store in the fridge for up to 2 weeks in an airtight container.
- To reheat, cook for 30 seconds in a microwave-safe bowl. Stir and heat for an additional 10 seconds or longer if necessary.