Celebrate the holiday season with these Christmas Snickerdoodle Cookies, easy to make gluten-free with one simple swap.
These Christmas Snickerdoodle Cookies are the perfect, classic cookie that adds a festive touch to your holiday party or to a gift basket. They are wonderful to make with the kids and serve during the holiday season.
We make a variety of Christmas Cookies and then plate them on a holiday cookie plate. The plate can be wrapped up and given as an edible gift option too!
It’s that time of the year for the perfect holiday cookie and this may very well be your favorite!
What type of flour should you use?
Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour needs to be used for this recipe. This needs to be a flour that is a 1:1 swap from regular flour. We typically use King Arthur or Better Batter.
Cup 4 Cup works well too, any brand that you prefer as long as it’s a 1:1 switch.
Should you use colored sugar?
Christmas Snickerdoodle Cookies can be made with colored sugar or store-bought red or green sprinkles, which is called sanding sugar, it’s completely up to you.
If you prefer colored sugar, follow this recipe for colored sugar.
If you use colored sugar, then you would mix your colored sugar with cinnamon before rolling the cookie dough balls into the sugar mixture.
Tips for Making Cookies:
This recipe is going to combine a mixture of cinnamon and sugar along with your basic ingredients for cookies.
This can be made with a large mixing bowl and wooden spoon, in a stand mixer with a paddle attachment, or with a hand mixer. If using a stand mixture, be sure not to overmix or you will end up with sticky dough.
Once you have your batter formed, then you will roll 1-inch balls in the cinnamon sugar mixture and then in the sprinkles.
They will be placed on a prepared baking sheet that is covered in parchment paper to bake for 6-8 minutes.
The baking times are going to vary based on your oven along with what doneness you prefer.
6 minutes – Pillow Soft – soft texture!
7 minutes – Soft Center with chewy centers and crispy edges!
8 minutes – Tender, perfect for dipping!
Once they are done baking in the oven, it’s important to place them on a wire rack to complete cooling.
These cookies are the best Snickerdoodle cookies paired with festive sprinkles to make a fun holiday cookie!
How long can you store the Snickerdoodle Cookies?
Leftover cookies can be stored in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
More Holiday Cookies:
Get the holiday cookie tray ready for all of these great holiday cookies!
It’s time to get ready to bake cookies with all of these festive cookies and spend time with the family doing one of your favorite things…eating cookies! These cookies are the perfect addition to your next holiday party!
Christmas Snickerdoodle Cookies
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 Tbsp Ground Cinnamon
- Red and Green Sugar Sprinkles
- 1 Cup Butter Softened
- 1 1/2 Cups Sugar
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 3/4 Cup All Purpose Flour or Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 2 Tsp Cream of Tartar
- Begin by combining the sugar and ground cinnamon in a small bowl and setting aside. Also set aside the sprinkles too. (Note – You want to the cinnamon sugar to be an equal combination, so you may need to add more or less depending on how your mix looks.)
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Next in a large mixing bowl, cream the butter with the sugar beating well and then add the eggs. Next, stir in the vanilla.
- Sift the flour, soda, salt, and cream of tartar in a medium mixing bowl and then add to the creamed mixture. Mix this well until the dough is formed.
- Shape the dough into 1-inch balls. Roll each ball lightly in the cinnamon sugar and then in the red or green sprinkles. Place these 2 inches apart on a greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 400°F for 6-8 minutes or until lightly browned. (6 minutes is pillow soft, 7 minutes is soft set, and 8 minutes is tender and great for dipping!)
- Remove and let cool slightly then move to a wire rack to finish cooling.