As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. There may be affiliate links within the post.
Get ready for the holidays with these Gluten-Free Cut Out Sugar Cookies!
As we get ready for the holidays, it’s always a good idea to have a go-to cut-out cookie recipe on hand. For us, we use this Gluten-Free Cut Out Sugar Cookies recipe.
This is one that I’ve been using for years, another good one that makes a smaller batch is this Simple Cookie Dough.
This particular recipe is one that my grandma passed down to me, that I love using with my kids now as well.
How do you make these cookies gluten-free?
It’s very easy to make gluten-free cookie dough with one swap, gluten-free all-purpose flour.
I use Better Batter; however, you can use any 1:1 gluten-free all-purpose flour that you prefer. They will all work the same way.
As always be sure to check all remaining ingredients as well.
Tips for Making Gluten-Free Cut Out Sugar Cookies:
If you prefer, the cookie dough can be made in advance and then just chilled in the fridge until you are ready to cut them out with cookie cutters. I find this to be the best way to save time during the holidays.
I can have the cookie dough ready to go for the kids.
It is best to use this dough when it is chilled since it will get warmer while working with it.
With making cut-out cookies, be sure to use a floured surface before rolling the dough. Continue to flour the surface as needed as you cut out the cookies.
These should be placed on a greased baking sheet or you can use parchment paper. They will need to be placed about 2 inches apart as they will rise some in the oven.
Make sure that the cookies fully cool before you begin frosting them.
If you do not want to make these as cut-out cookies, they can be made as drop cookies too, placing them in tablespoonful balls on a cookie sheet.
Another quick tip with this recipe is that if you plan to decorate with the family, put a plastic, disposable table cloth down on the table, then place all your toppings and decorations.
Once you are done, you can simply pull the table cloth off and throw it all in the trash. It makes clean-up simple!
Time for some Gluten-Free Cut Out Sugar Cookies!
- 1 Cup Butter, Softened
- 2 Cups Granulated Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar, Packed
- 2 Eggs
- 1/4 Cup + 2 Tbsp Milk
- 2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 4 Cups Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour or Regular All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- Cookie Cutters, Frosting, Sprinkles, Toppings as Desired
- Begin by creaming together the butter, granulated sugar, and brown sugar in a stand mixer or large mixing bowl.
- Add in the eggs, milk, and vanilla.
- Carefully whisk in the flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Whisk this up well until the dough forms.
- Chill the dough in the fridge for 1+ hours.
- Preheat the oven to 350*F while cutting out the cookies.
- Once ready to use, lightly flour a surface and roll the dough out, use the cookie cutters of choice to cut out the cookies.
- Continue rolling out the dough and flouring the surface until all the cookies are created.
- Place the cookies on a prepared cookie sheet, either with parchment or a silicone baking sheet about 2 inches apart.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 10-12 minutes, carefully remove, and let cool for 5 minutes before placing them on a wire rack to complete cooling.
- Once fully cooled, decorate with your desired frosting and toppings.
These cookies can be made gluten-free or regular with a simple swap of flour. Use gluten-free all-purpose flour if you would like gluten-free cookies.
Servings will vary based on what cookie cutters are used and the shapes.
These cookies can be kept in the freezer before adding the toppings in a freezer-safe storage bag if desired until ready to decorate.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 36 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 167Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 24mgSodium: 107mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 0gSugar: 13gProtein: 2g