Get ready for the week with these tasty Gluten-Free Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scones!
These Gluten-Free Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scones blend the best flavors into one tasty fall treat.
If you are missing those yummy treats that are full of gluten, now you can have a great treat without the gluten with these scones.
How do you make these Gluten-Free?
These pumpkin chocolate chip scones can be made gluten-free with one simple swap of flour. For these to be gluten-free, use a 1:1 gluten-free all-purpose flour such as Better Batter.
If you do not have Better Batter, you can also use your favorite 1:1 flour, I prefer Better Batter and have used it for years, so that’s my go-to for this recipe.
Variations of Gluten-Free Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scones:
These scones can be made with or without chocolate chips, so this part is completely up to you.
A few other variations can be adding nuts to the recipe such as pecans.
Tips for Making this recipe:
These are best made hand-mixed and using a pastry blender works well too. This would be similar to what you would use if you were making biscuit dough.
It’s important to carefully cut the butter into the batter, it will need to be nice and crumbly, then you will add in the wet ingredients bringing together both the wet and dry ingredients into a ball of dough.
The butter should be very cold, not softened. This recipe also uses buttermilk, you can check out these easy ways to make buttermilk with what you have as well.
The easiest way to cut the dough is to shape it into a round circle and then cut wedges…think of it as pie slices. Once they’ve been cut into wedges it’s time to separate them and bake them up.
Finally, add a tasty vanilla glaze right on top.
Gluten-Free Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Scones
- 2 Cups Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- 1/3 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Cup 1 Stick Unsalted Butter, Grated and Very Cold, Frozen
- 1/2 Cup Buttermilk or Cream Additional for brushing the top
- 1 Large Egg
- 1/2 Cup Canned Pumpkin Puree
- 2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tsp Pumpkin Pie Spice
- 1/2 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 3 Tbsp Milk
- 1/2 Tsp Vanilla
- In a large bowl whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder.
- Using a pastry blender or your hands, cut the butter in the mixture until it’s crumbly. Remember the butter should be grated and very cold.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, pumpkin puree, vanilla extract, pumpkin pie spice, and cinnamon.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until moistened.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- The mixture should be well combined and hold together into a ball.
- Sprinkle a small amount of flour onto parchment paper or the counter.
- Press the dough into an 8-inch circle, about 3/4 inch thick.
- Brush the top with additional buttermilk or cream.
- Sprinkle with just a touch of sugar and cinnamon.
- Use a sharp knife and cut the circle into 8 wedges (pie shape).
- Divide each wedge and place it onto a greased baking sheet. Leave a few inches in between each one.
- Place in the fridge for 15-30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400*F.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from the oven and cool slighly.
- Combine the ingredients for the glaze and drizzle over each one.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container.