As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. There may be affiliate links within the post.
Make a batch of your favorite Easy Blueberry Scones, easy to make gluten-free if needed too!
If you saw the Blueberry Bread on Monday, now it’s time to enjoy these Easy Blueberry Scones. Just as easy as the Blueberry Bread is to make, these Blueberry Scones use pantry staples.
I’m sure many of us are missing our morning coffee and pastry routine? I’ll be honest and say though, I’ve missed that routine since I went gluten-free and scones were no longer on my list of foods to eat.
The good thing is these blueberry scones can easily be made gluten-free too. I’m going to show you exactly how to do that!
Scones are very easy to make, similar to a bread recipe, so you may even surprise yourself to realize that you can actually make a batch at home and keep that money you were spending on them for other things. I’d say these are probably a fraction of the cost of 1 at a coffee shop versus making enough to last a week.
How do you make Gluten-Free Blueberry Scones?
These blueberry scones can be made gluten-free with one simple swap of flour. For these to be gluten-free, use a 1:1 gluten-free all-purpose flour such as Better Batter.
If you do not have Better Batter, you can also use your favorite 1:1 flour, I prefer Better Batter and have used it for years, so that’s my go-to for this recipe.
Variations of Blueberry Scones:
Another thing I like to do is add a squirt of fresh lemon to the batter, this really gives it a great Blueberry Lemon flavor, you can do that as well or even add different varieties of fruit.
Tips for Making Blueberry Scones:
These are best made hand-mixed and using a pastry blender works well too. This would be similar to what you would use if you were making biscuit dough.
It’s important to carefully cut the butter into the batter, it will need to be nice and crumbly, then you will add in the wet ingredients bringing together both the wet and dry ingredients into a ball of dough.
The butter should be very cold, not softened. This recipe also uses buttermilk, you can check out these easy ways to make buttermilk with what you have as well.
The easiest way to cut the dough is to shape it into a round circle and then cut wedges…think of it as pie slices. Once they’ve been cut into wedges it’s time to separate them and bake them up.
If you prefer, you can also add a tasty vanilla glaze right on top.
Now it’s time to take a minute, relax, and enjoy that cup of coffee with your own homemade blueberry scones!
- 2 Cups All-Purpose Flour or Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- 1/3 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Cup (1 Stick) Unsalted Butter, Grated and very cold or frozen
- 1/2 Cup Buttermilk or Cream, plus more for brushing on top
- 1 Large Egg
- 2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Fresh Blueberries (Frozen works too)
- 1 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 3 Tbsp Milk (More if Needed)
- 1/2 Tsp Vanilla
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder.
- Using a pastry blender or your hands, cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk or cream, and vanilla extract.
- Add the liquid ingredients and blueberries to the dry ingredients and stir until moistened.
- The mixture should be well combined and hold together in a ball.
- Sprinkle a small amount of flour onto parchment paper or the counter.
- Press dough into 8-inch circle, about 3/4 inch thick.
- Brush the top with additional buttermilk or cream.
- Sprinkle with a touch of sugar.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the circle into 8 wedges (pie shape).
- Divide each wedge and place it onto a greased baking sheet or one lined with parchment paper. Leave about a few inches between each scone to expand.
- Place in the fridge for 15-30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400*F.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from the oven and cool slightly.
- Combine the ingredients for the vanilla glaze in a small bowl, add more milk if needed to create a glaze.
- Drizzle over the scones and serve.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 308Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 30mgSodium: 377mgCarbohydrates: 62gFiber: 2gSugar: 25gProtein: 7g