Make the best, easiest Gluten-Free Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes, perfect with freshly chopped strawberries.
It’s that time of year where baking with fresh fruits is just necessary, they are fresh and wonderful, plus in season. One thing we love to stock up on during this season is strawberries as they come in season, perfect for these Gluten-Free Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes.
I even freeze strawberries to keep throughout the year and use too. That means you can make Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes any time of the year!
Now, there are a few things you will want to use for this recipe, most of which can all be found right in your pantry.
How do you make these gluten-free?
It’s simple to make Gluten-Free Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes with switching just ONE ingredient and using Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour. I use Better Batter; however, you can use your favorite 1:1 swap of flour.
This is the only swap that you will need to make for this recipe.
That means if you want to make these ‘not gluten-free’, just use regular flour…you can make them either way.
Tips for making Gluten-Free Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes:
These strawberry cupcakes are infused with chopped strawberries. In order to do this, once the cupcakes have cooled for a bit, cut a small center portion out of the cupcake. This is easy to do with the end of a frosting tip.
Once you have a small circle cut out, add about 1/4 tsp of strawberries and then replace it with the cake that you took out to make it smooth for the frosting.
Another quick tip, this recipe calls for buttermilk but if you do not have buttermilk you can use one of these alternatives to make buttermilk. My personal suggestion is to use regular milk and add a tablespoon of white vinegar to it, this works well.
If you are in the mood to make a variety of cupcakes, be sure to also make these Lemon Cupcakes too, both of these are perfect for spring and summer desserts.
Gluten-Free Strawberry Shortcake Cupcakes
- 2 1/2 Cups All-Purpose Flour or Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- 2 1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 4 Eggs Room Temp
- 1 1/2 Cups Granulated Sugar
- 3 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Cooking Oil Vegetable or Canola
- 1 Cup Buttermilk or Milk + Vinegar
- 4 oz Cream Cheese Softened
- 1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 1 1/2 Cups Heavy Whipping Cream
- 1/2 Cup Strawberries Sliced and Chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and fill the pan with cupcake liners.
- Whisk together flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Set Aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs, add sugar and continue beating for about 30 seconds.
- Add oil and vanilla extract, beat until well combined.
- Gradually add dry ingredients alternating with buttermilk.
- Beat until well combined, the batter will be thin.
- Divide into cupcake liners, 2/3 full.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely.
- Before frosting use a small knife or the end of a decorating tip to make a circle on top of the cupcake.
- Carefully add about 1/4 Tsp of berries to it and then replace with the cake that you took out, to make smooth.
- Then, prepare the frosting.
To make Frosting:
- In a large mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, sugar, and vanilla.
- Beat until creamy.
- Gradually add whipping cream, beat until stiff peaks form.
- Once done add a spoonful of frosting to each cupcake or use a decorating bag and tip of your choice and frost.
- Top with fresh strawberries.