This Easy Lemon Cupcake Recipe is the perfect choice for a spring dessert, it’s also easy to make gluten-free too!
Lemon Cupcakes are the absolute perfect way to welcome in spring, they just scream SPRING! Don’t you think? It’s even better when I can easily make these Gluten-Free Lemon Cupcakes too.
That’s right, you can make these either way with just a simple swap of flour, it’s that easy. This Lemon Cupcake Recipe boasts the perfect combination of lemon and vanilla. I was thinking these would be fun to make for a lemonade stand too, wouldn’t they?
My daughter just begs to do a lemonade stand and I think these would be so fun to sell with the lemonade. Of course, where we live there is literally no traffic, which is why we haven’t done one before.
I’ve been thinking lately though of how many lemonade stands I did as a kid and it’s actually kind of sad that our kids have missed that pastime.
Back to this Lemon Cupcake Recipe. Let’s talk about these delicious cupcakes.
How do you make Lemon Cupcakes into Gluten-Free Lemon Cupcakes?
This recipe is so simple that if you want to make Gluten-Free Lemon Cupcakes, you will use this exact recipe but with Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour, such as Better Batter.
Can you substitute lemon juice for lemon extract?
Lemon extract is actually very strong so it’s best to substitute that out for lemon zest. Now, keep in mind that 1 Tsp of the extract is about the same as 2 tsp of the lemon zest. The key is to keep a good balance in these cupcakes of vanilla and lemon, so don’t go overboard.
How do you zest a lemon?
If you are to zest a lemon, it’s basically scraping off the bright yellow part of the peel of the lemon. This is done with a Microplane, just rubbed on the lemon.
How do you garnish or frost Lemon Cupcakes?
These are best topped with Homemade Whipped Cream. If you do this, I’d suggest using the Wilton 1M tip along with the decorator’s bag for the whipped cream.
Once they are topped, you can add a sliced lemon and mint leaf if you prefer.
If you enjoy this Lemon Cupcake Recipe, head on over to make these Strawberry Lemonade Cupcakes next! Just a tip that they can be made gluten-free too. I have plenty of gluten-free cupcake recipes.
Lemon Cupcake Recipe
- 3 Cups All-Purpose Flour or Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Cup 2 Sticks Unsalted Butter, Room Temp
- 2 Cups White Granulated Sugar
- 4 Large Eggs Room Temp
- 3 Tbsp Lemon Zest About 3 Lemons
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Buttermilk
- Frosting or Fresh Whipped Cream
- Sliced Lemon to Garnish
Whipped Cream Recipe
- 1 Pint Heavy Whipping Cream
- 8 Tbsp Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven to 350* and fill a cupcake pan with liners.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating after each addition, scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Beat in the zest and vanilla extract.
- Add dry mixture alternating with buttermilk and lemon juice, beating just until combined after each addition.
- Divide the batter into cupcake liners.
- Bake at 350*F for 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack after cook time.
- Frost with fresh whip cream or frosting of your choice.
- If you are making the whipped cream in this recipe, add the whipping cream, powdered sugar, and vanilla into a mixing bowl. Whip this on high for about 3 minutes until the whipped cream is formed.
- Place the whipped cream into a decorator's bag with the Wilton 1M tip and frost the cupcakes.
- Garnish with Lemon Slices.
did you make this recipe?
Make sure to tag #mommyhatescoooking on Instagram and follow for more @momhatescooking
Comments & Reviews
oh so yummy perfect for spring
come see us at http://shopannies.blogspot.com,
I love anything lemon. Congratulations, you are being featured on Over The Moon Party. I hope you stop by.
Rebecca Payne says
I love lemon desserts. Thank you for sharing.