Cook up a great Smoked Steak on your pellet grill with this Pellet Grill Steak!
This Pellet Grill Steak is perfect with a side of Smoked Mushrooms and it can all be made on your Pellet Grill or Smoker.
Smoked Steak starts out cooking slowly and then at the end, we will up the temperature to get a nice mix of smokey flavor and grilled texture.
How long does it take to smoke a steak?
This recipe will take just under 2 hours, beginning with smoking the steaks at a low temperature for about 30 minutes and then finishing them out at a higher temperature.
Tips for Making Pellet Grill Steak:
This recipe uses Ribeye steaks, you can use any cut of steak; however, you would want to adjust the cooking time if needed for different cuts.
These steaks are going to be seasoned and chilled in the fridge first, so be sure to allow at least 1 hour for the steaks to sit before beginning to grill them.
As always the times may vary due to the heat that your pellet grill is putting off, but it’s best to have a meat thermometer or probe on hand.
Using a meat thermometer or probe will make it possible to get a perfect temperature that fits your preferred doneness.
We prefer to cook ours until they reach about 135*F-140*F this gives them a medium well doneness.
It’s best to let them rest after cooking for about 10 minutes before cutting them, this is always for the juices to fully flow throughout the steak.
Be sure not to skip that step if you want a juicy, tender steak.
What pellets should you use for Pellet Grill Steak?
Any pellets can be used, we like to use a blend of pellets.
If you prefer to use one type of pellet the best ones for this are hickory or oak.
Pellet Grill Steak
- 2 Ribeye Steaks
- Coarse Sea Salt
- Cracked Black Pepper
- Season the steaks with salt and place in the fridge for up to 2 hours.
- Remove from the fridge 1 hour prior to smoking to allow for the meat to come to room temperature.
- Add the cracked black pepper.
- Preheat the smoker to 200*F.
- Place steaks directly on the smoker and smoke until the internal temperature is 120*F. This takes about 20-30 minutes.
- Remove from the smoker and turn the heat setting of your smoker to 500*F and allow the smoker to come up in temperature.
- Once at this temp, place stakes on the grill and cook until your desired doneness, about 6-9 minutes.
- Remove and allow to rest for 10 minutes then serve.