Make the best Smoked Tri Tip in your Pellet Grill!
Use your pellet grill to make this delicious Smoked Tri Tip. This is a process, so be sure to plan accordingly.
If you are looking for a quicker way to make a tri-tip, check out this Ninja Foodi Tri Tip.
Remember if you are planning to make a tri-tip this steak is made rarer than a traditional ribeye, so keep that in mind. The sweet spot for a tri-tip is about 140*F internal temperature.
What is a Tri Tip?
This is a cut of beef from the bottom sirloin and it’s full of flavor. It’s also a lean cut of meat too, it is very tender and easy to chew.
It is actually called a Tri Tip because of its triangle shape and it does very well cooked at high-heat.
What temperature should you smoke a tri tip steak at?
We smoke our tri tip steak on our pellet grill at 200*F.
We also like to use oak, hickory, or mesquite pellets for this recipe. These give it a really good smokey, roasted flavor.
After the initial smoking time, you will want to use a cast iron skillet to sear the steak on both sides to give it that crispy outer layer.
What kind of rub should you use on a tri tip?
This tri tip has a basic seasoning of salt, pepper, and garlic powder. If you wanted a different seasoning, you can easily use any steak seasoning that you prefer.
This is a very pantry friendly seasoning to rub on this steak.
Tips for Making Pellet Grill Smoked Tri Tip:
Remember to use the probe that comes with your pellet grill or a meat thermometer because keeping track of the temperature of this cut is how you will successfully smoke a tri tip.
It will first smoke up to 130*F internal temperature, then you will sear it to reach 140*F, but not over this temperature.
The tri tip needs to rest for at least 10 minutes before slicing. This allows all the juices to fully run through the steak, giving you a very tender and juicy cut.
This can be served with your favorite steak sauce or barbecue sauce.
Be sure to add this to your list of pellet grill recipes.
Pellet Grill Smoked Tri Tip
- 1 Tri-Tip Roast (3-4 Pounds)
- 2 Tbsp Salt
- 2 Tbsp Ground Black Pepper
- 2 Tbsp Garlic Powder
- 2 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
- Trim any silverskin and fat cap from the Tri-Tip.
- Pat dry and season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder evenly on all sides of the roast. Use additional seasoning if needed to coat the entire tri tip, it will vary depending on the size. If you prefer, you can use steak seasoning instead of the seasonings mentioned.
- Set the smoker to 200*F and smoke for 2-3 hours until you have an internal temperature between 125-130*F. (Rare)
- Remove the tri-tip and increase the pellet grill temperature to 500*F.
- Place a cast iron skillet on the smoker grates. Once the grill gets to temperature, add the butter to a very hot cast-iron pan and transfer the tri-tip back into the pan. Sear for 30 seconds on each side. Do not let the internal temperature go beyond 140*F.
- Rest the tri-tip for 10 minutes before slicing against the grain and serving.