Make an easy low-carb meal with Eggplant Lasagna!
Eggplant Lasagna is a great go-to low-carb meal and one we really enjoy. The key to eggplant lasagna that I’ve learned over the years is all in how you initially prepare the eggplant!
How do you prepare eggplant for lasagna?
I use 1 eggplant for this recipe; however, you are more than welcome to use 2. Once you have your eggplant cleaned, you will want to slice it lengthwise into 1/4-inch strips and place it on a greased baking sheet.
The baking sheet can be sprayed with grapeseed or olive oil spray, then carefully place the eggplant on the sheet.
This needs to roast in the oven for about 20 minutes at 400*F.
This process helps with getting some of the liquid out of the eggplant as well because without that it can cause your lasagna to become watery.
Tips for Making Eggplant Lasagna:
This particular recipe uses cottage cheese instead of ricotta cheese and also fresh mozzarella.
It’s very important to soak up as much of the water out of the fresh mozzarella as possible before adding it to the top of the lasagna. This will help with the watery appearance of eggplant lasagna.
Many times Eggplant Lasagna will come out watery, this can be due to the fact that eggplant is majority water and then along with the cheese it’s a combination for a watery dish.
What to do if it comes out watery?
That is why it’s important to roast the eggplant first and be sure to use a paper towel to soak up the water in the cheese before adding it.
If your lasagna does come out watery, simply use a spoon to remove any excess water or liquid.
Then let the eggplant lasagna sit for a bit at room temperature or in the fridge to cool off, as it cools the liquid will decrease.
How do you serve it?
This can be cut up like traditional lasagna and served as a one-dish meal or alongside a salad.
This is a great, easy meal that uses lots of vegetables!
- 1 Eggplant Sliced Lengthwise, 1/8in thick
- 1 Tsp Kosher Salt
- 1 Lb Ground Beef or Turkey
- 1/4 Cup Sweet Onion Diced
- 1 Zucchini Squash Diced
- 26 oz Marinara Sauce
- 1 Tbsp Italian Seasoning
- 24 oz Cottage Cheese
- 8oz Fresh Mozzarella Cheese
- Parsley to Garnish
- Heat oven to 400*F.
- Cut the eggplant lengthwise and place it on a greased cookie sheet, then season it evenly with kosher salt.
- Roast in the oven for 20 minutes at 400*F, or until browned.
- While the eggplant is roasting, brown the ground beef in a skillet on medium-high heat.
- Once browned, drain and return to skillet.
- Add in the onion, squash, marinara sauce, and seasoning to the skillet. Let this warm up for about 5-10 minutes.
- Prepare a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and begin to layer the lasagna.
- On the bottom of the dish, begin the first layer with half of the meat mixture.
- Top it with half of the cottage cheese.
- Evenly place eggplant on top and repeat the layers.
- Once the second layer of eggplant is done, cover the dish with the freshly sliced mozzarella. Remember to use a paper towel to get as much water out of the mozzarella as possible before topping it.
- Bake in the oven at 400*F for 20 minutes then switch to Broil for 5 minutes.
- Carefully remove and let cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.