Make these EASY and tasty Gluten-Free Mocha Cupcakes!
I actually originally shared these Gluten-Free Mocha Cupcakes way back in 2011!
Sometimes I have a really hard time believing that I’ve been sharing recipes for so long, it just never ceases to amaze me just how quickly time passes.
It was time though to recreate them recently for a party and we still love them just as much. We decided this time though to add Chocolate Covered Espresso Beans and those just added to the great treat!
We purchase our espresso beans at our local coffee shop and some supermarkets also carry them.
How do you make these gluten-free?
If you need to make your mocha cupcakes gluten-free, simply use a gluten-free chocolate cake mix.
I used Better Batter Chocolate Cake Mix; however, King Arthur Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake Mix works well too.
Tips for Making Gluten-Free Mocha Cupcakes:
Be sure to follow the recipe instructions instead of the cake box instructions.
To give these cupcakes a mocha flavor, you will be adding in a cup of coffee. This can be warm coffee or cold coffee, it is up to you.
I have found that if you use cold coffee it’s more concentrated so the cupcakes will have more mocha flavor to them instead of with warm coffee.
What topping should you use?!
These mocha cupcakes are topped with homemade whipped cream, which I’ve found to be the clear winner when it comes to mocha cupcakes.
It reminds me of having a homemade mocha with whipped cream from the coffee shop.
This whipped cream is made with heavy whipping cream and powdered sugar. Then, I like to add ground cinnamon and vanilla to give it a great flavor.
Remember when making the whipped cream topping, to use a handheld mixer or stand mixer because you do have to whip it on high for about 3-5 minutes to get the whipped cream to form.
It would need to whip until you see it thickening up similar to a canned whipped cream consistency.
Once that’s done, we use piping bags and a Wilton 1M tip to pipe it onto the cupcakes and then top them with a little ground cinnamon and an espresso bean.
So quick and easy!
Enjoy these Gluten-Free Mocha Cupcakes!
Gluten-Free Mocha Cupcakes
- 1 Regular or Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake Mix
- 1/3 Cup Oil
- 1 Cup Coffee Decaf or Regular
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 3 Eggs
- 1/2 Pint Heavy Whipping Cream
- 4 Tbsp Powdered Sugar
- 1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 Tsp Vanilla
- Chocolate Covered Espresso Beans to Garnish (Optional)
- Ground Cinnamon to Garnish (Optional)
- Preheat the oven to 350*F.
- Begin by combining the cake mix, oil, coffee, water, and eggs. Mix this well and then prepare fill cupcake liners with the cake mix about 2/3 of the way full.
- Bake this in the oven for 15-20 minutes at 350*F.
- While these are baking beat together the whipping cream, powdered sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla. This will beat for about 3-5 minutes or until the texture becomes similar to canned whipped cream. Use a stand mixer or handheld mixer.
- Next, fill a cake decorator bag with the whipped cream using a Wilton 1M tip for the swirl. Once the cupcakes have completely cooled decorate them. I used cinnamon to garnish them as well as a chocolate-covered espresso bean.
- Eat these immediately or refrigerate to keep the whipped cream stiff.