As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. There may be affiliate links within the post.
Make this fabulous Homemade Creamy Chicken and Noodles, the perfect comfort meal, and is easy to make gluten-free too!
This recipe is just the perfect comfort meal. Remember though it’s a little more in-depth than other recipes though, it’s still very easy but it takes some extra time.
Because you will be cooking a whole chicken and it’s obviously necessary that it’s fully cooked!
Can you use pre-cooked chicken for Creamy Chicken and Noodles?
This recipe can be made with pre-cooked chicken in this case it’s best to use a rotisserie-style chicken. This will significantly decrease the cooking time as well for this recipe.
If you do go this route and use pre-cooked chicken then it is necessary to add about 2 cups of extra chicken broth or chicken stock. This helps bring flavor to the noodles.
Can you make this Gluten-Free Creamy Chicken and Noodles?
This recipe for Chicken and Noodles can be made gluten-free with a few options. The first thing is the egg noodles, they can be made homemade similar to this Gluten-Free Chicken Noodle Casserole or the brand Jovial works well too for store-bought egg noodles.
If you do the homemade egg noodles they will have a bit of a different texture than the store-bought. They usually end up being a bit thicker and softer.
I have been able to find Jovial for about $4-5 a box at Whole Foods Market. In order to make this according to the recipe, you will need about 16oz of egg noodles.
The other change will be the cream of chicken soup, that will need to be swapped for gluten-free cream of chicken soup. I’ve been able to find that easily at Walmart.
That’s the only swaps you will need to make this gluten-free.
This recipe is the perfect Sunday afternoon dinner or family comfort meal. This is one that we love in the winter months!
- 4 lb Whole Chicken
- 1 Medium Onion, Chopped
- 3-4 Stalks Celery, Chopped
- 3-4 Carrots, Chopped
- 2 Tbsp Dried Parsley Flakes
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- 16oz Bag Egg Noodles (or Gluten-Free, See Note)
- 10.5oz Can of Cream of Chicken or Gluten-Free Cream of Chicken
- 1 Cup Milk
- 2 Cups Chicken Stock
- Clean and wash the chicken and place it in a large pot with vegetables and seasoning.
- Cover with water and place a lid on top.
- Bring to a boil and allow to boil for 30 minutes, then turn to low and cook for 2-3 hours. By cooking the chicken this way, you will have a great chicken stock to use for the noodles.
- Drain the chicken and save the stock.
- Debone the chicken and cut into small pieces.
- Add the stock from the chicken along with the 2 cups of additional chicken stock to a large pot and bring to boil.
- Cook the noodles in the chicken stock according to the package instructions, be sure to save the stock again after cooking.
- Add the noodles to a large bowl or put them back in the pot.
- Add the soup and milk to the noodles.
- Stir in the chicken.
- Add additional stock if needed if mixture is dry.
- This can be made with Homemade Egg Noodles, use the egg noodle portion of this recipe to make them.
- Or you can also use Jovial Egg Noodles, those are found at Whole Foods Market.
- This can be prepped ahead by using a pre-cooked chicken such as a rotisserie.
- If you use a pre-cooked chicken, you will need additional chicken stock about 2 cups or so to get the flavor in the noodles.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 964Total Fat: 49gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 29gCholesterol: 299mgSodium: 976mgCarbohydrates: 34gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 92g