These Strawberry Scones are the perfect morning treat that can be made gluten-free too!
If you enjoyed these Blueberry Scones, then you will love these Strawberry Scones using fresh strawberries.
As we head into spring these Strawberry Scones paired with your morning coffee are the perfect choice to start your morning. I’m so ready for spring, are you? I also can’t believe how much our world has changed in a year but I feel pretty hopeful right now.
What’s a better way to enjoy a peaceful morning? Strawberry Scones!
Scones are very easy to make, similar to a bread recipe, so you may even surprise yourself to realize that you can actually make a batch at home and keep that money you were spending on them for other things.
How do you make Gluten-Free Strawberry Scones?
These strawberry scones can be made gluten-free with one simple swap of flour. For these to be gluten-free, use a 1:1 gluten-free all-purpose flour such as Better Batter.
If you do not have Better Batter, you can also use your favorite 1:1 flour, I prefer Better Batter and have used it for years, so that’s my go-to for this recipe.
Tips for Making Strawberry Scones:
These are best made hand-mixed and using a pastry blender works well too. This would be similar to what you would use if you were making biscuit dough.
It’s important to carefully cut the butter into the batter, it will need to be nice and crumbly, then you will add in the wet ingredients bringing together both the wet and dry ingredients into a ball of dough.
The butter should be very cold, not softened. This recipe also uses buttermilk, you can check out these easy ways to make buttermilk with what you have as well.
The easiest way to cut the dough is to shape it into a round circle and then cut wedges…think of it as pie slices. Once they’ve been cut into wedges it’s time to separate them and bake them up.
Now if you enjoyed those blueberry scones, let’s make a batch of these delicious Strawberry Scones!
Gluten-Free Strawberry Scones
- 2 Cups Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour or Regular All-Purpose Flour
- 1/3 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 Cup 1 stick Unsalted Butter, Very Cold or Frozen
- 1/2 Cup Buttermilk or Heavy Cream More for Brushing the Top
- 1 Large Egg
- 2 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 Cup Fresh Strawberries Chopped
- 1 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 2 Tbsp Milk
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder.
- Using a pastry blender or your hands, cut in the butter until the mixture is crumbly.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk or cream, and vanilla.
- Add the liquid ingredients and strawberries to the dry ingredients, stir to moisten. The mixture should hold together like a ball.
- Sprinkle a small amount of gluten-free flour onto parchment paper or the counter.
- Press dough into an 8-inch circle, about 3/4 inch thick.
- Brush the top with additional buttermilk or cream.
- Sprinkle with coarse sugar, if desired.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the circle into 8 wedges.
- Divide triangles and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone mat, leaving enough space for the scones to expand when cooked.
- Preheat oven to 375*F.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove from oven and cool slightly.
- Add vanilla glaze or sugar if you prefer. For the glaze simply whisk the ingredients.
- Serve warm or room temperature.
- Store leftovers in airtight container at room temperature.