It’s a busy time of year and that means one-dish dinners like this Tater Tot Taco Casserole are just necessary at dinner time.
This past week has been a whirlwind with going back to school. This has been our first full week and we survived. Typically, we would be getting back into our normal routine but we are also in the middle of redoing our flooring in our home. Just a note, this post was originally posted in 2016.
This has been one those construction projects that really messes up things a bit or a lot! We actually have to move out, which is a bit hard for a family to do especially for someone that works from home.
I’m just trying to keep my eye on the end result though and these floors will hopefully be very worth it. In the midst of the chaos, we still have to get dinner made. We’ve been basically packing up all week and along with that I decided to make this one-dish dinner for my family.
It was simple and tasty, just what my kids love. I used a gluten free taco seasoning to make this gluten free. It’s simple to make gluten free just by being sure your seasoning is gluten free.
I decided to add the taco seasoning to our beef to make this Tater Tot Taco Casserole.
In the meantime though, this casserole was perfect for our dinner night. I mixed lean ground beef with the taco seasoning packet. Once that was done, I added in drained black beans, corn, and tomato sauce to the beef.
I mixed this all together and placed it on the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish. I topped it with tater tots and baked it up in the oven. When it was almost done, I added shredded cheese and let that bake until it was nicely melted.
What do you need to make Tater Tot Taco Casserole?
- Ground Beef
- Gluten Free Taco Seasoning
- Black Beans
- Tomato Sauce
- Tater Tots
- Mexican Style Cheese
This result was a perfect one-dish dinner that made it much easier for us to get right back to packing.
Are you ready for this back to school season? What are some of your go-to dinner time meals?
Tater Tot Taco Casserole
Tater Tot Taco Casserole
- 1 Lb Ground Beef
- 1 Package Taco Seasoning or Gluten Free Taco Seasoning
- 1 1/2 Cups Black Beans Cooked & Drained
- 1 1/2 Cups Corn Drained
- 16 oz Tomato Sauce
- 1 1/2 Lbs Tater Tots
- 1 Cup Shredded Mexican Style Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400*.
- Brown the ground beef, drain, and combine with the taco mix as instructed on the package.
- Once the beef is mixed with the seasoning and cooked, add in the beans, corn, and tomato sauce.
- Mix this well then evenly pour into a greased 9x13 baking dish.
- Place the tater tots evenly across the top of the meat mixture.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until nearly cooked.
- Remove carefully, add the cheese on top and bake for an additional 5 minutes.