Get an easy meal on the table with this Simple Crockpot Whole Chicken!
This delicious chicken is a wonderful way to prepare a chicken and make a beautiful dinner with very little effort on your part. After this past year, that’s totally welcome news around here.
Can you put a raw chicken in the crockpot?
Chicken can be put in the crockpot raw; however, you do want to cook it fully, so be sure the internal temperature reaches at least 165*F before serving.
If you prefer, you can sear the chicken on both sides first in a saucepan if you like to get that outer browned coating or with this recipe, we put it in the broiler at the end of slow cooking just to get it browned up.
That means the pictures of the chicken you see in this post is broiled after it’s been slow-cooked, that’s why you see the crispy skin. This will simply come down to your personal preference.
How long does Crockpot Whole Chicken take to cook?
This can be cooked for 8 hours; however, it’s likely going to be done around the 6-hour mark, which means you can go ahead and check it after 6 hours. Again, just be sure the internal temperature has reached at least 165*F before serving.
Tips for making Crockpot Whole Chicken:
It’s best to coat the crockpot with cooking spray before placing the chicken inside, a disposable crockpot liner can also be used if you prefer.
Remember as I mentioned above, to get crispy skin, you’ll want to place the chicken on a baking sheet and put it in the oven on broil for a few minutes to get crispy.
We then serve this with the vegetables that are cooked right in the crockpot along with the chicken, it’s a wonderful one-dish meal!
If you enjoy this chicken recipe, be sure to check out this Instant Pot BBQ Chicken too!
Crockpot Whole Chicken
- 1 4-5 Lb Whole Chicken, Neck and Giblets removed, washed and patted dry
- 2-3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 4-5 Stalks Celery Cleaned and Chopped
- 3 Carrots Cleaned and Chopped
- 1 Red Onion Peeled and Diced
- 4 Garlic Cloves Crushed
- 3 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 3 Sprigs Fresh Rosemary
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Seasoned Salt
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 1 Tsp Fresh Thyme Chopped
- 1 Tsp Fresh Rosemary Chopped
- 1/2 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp Dried Parsley
- 1/2 Tsp Onion Powder
- Spray crockpot insert with non-stick cooking spray or you can use a disposable liner.
- Cut the vegetables and add to the crockpot with the herbs.
- Rinse chicken and make sure neck and giblet are removed and it's patted dry.
- In a small bowl, combine the seasonings.
- Drizzle chicken with olive oil and rub it into the skin.
- Sprinkle evenly with seasoning.
- Place chicken on top of the vegetables.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 4 hours, until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 165*F. It can be checked around the 6-hour mark.
- Cut and serve with vegetables.
- If you would like crispy brown skin on the outside, broil in the oven for 4-5 minutes by placing the chicken immediately into a baking dish.