As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. There may be affiliate links within the post.
This Ninja Foodi Whole Chicken will knock your socks off, it’s that good and ready to serve in just about an hour or less!
Most of us get our Ninja Foodi and immediately wonder how to use it? Then, the next question is how can I cook a whole chicken in the Ninja Foodi? I’m going to help you with that today.
This Ninja Foodi Whole Chicken has the same great taste and texture of a rotisserie chicken but it’s made in the Ninja Foodi using the pressure cooker function.
If you are looking to make the best-shredded chicken, be sure to check out this post on how to cook chicken breast in the Ninja Foodi or chicken thighs.
How do you cook a whole chicken in the Ninja Foodi?
This method can be done in the Ninja Foodi or Instant Pot; however, I like to make our chicken a little crispy at the end, so sometimes using a Ninja Foodi is the best choice.
The Ninja Foodi allows you to crisp at the end if you prefer with the broil function if you prefer.
When I make this in the Ninja Foodi, I prefer to use the rack over the basket because it does not stick like it does in the basket. That means for this recipe you will want the pressure cooker lid that comes with the Ninja Foodi and the wire rack.
The first thing we will be doing is using the saute function to get that golden crisp on the outside, which you can do additional crisp at the end with the broil function if you prefer.
This only cooks for about 30 minutes; however, it will take time to naturally release and let the chicken rest so I would allow for 1-2 hours for the entire process.
What temperature does a whole chicken need to be?
The internal temperature of the chicken will need to be at least 165 degrees. It’s best to check this with a quick-read thermometer. I prefer this particular Thermoworks one; however, any will work.
The thermometer will be your go-to for cooking meat and especially chicken, it will help you gauge well-done and not overcook it.
Are you ready to try cooking a whole chicken in the Ninja Foodi? Add this recipe to your list of Ninja Foodi Recipes!
- 1 4-5lb Roasting Chicken
- 2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Tsp Black Pepper
- 1 Tsp Paprika
- 1 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1 Tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 Tsp Dried Thyme
- 1/2 Tsp Dried Rosemary
- 1/2 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Cayenne Pepper, Optional
- 2 Tbsp Canola or Vegetable Oil
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1 Lemon, Quartered
- 1 Medium White Onion, Quartered
- Clean chicken, pat dry with a paper towel, and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine seasonings.
- Sprinkle seasoning mixture over chicken and cavity.
- Stuff the cavity with lemon and onion.
- Set the Ninja Foodi to the high saute setting.
- Add oil to the pot.
- Lay the chicken breast side down and cook until golden brown.
- Turn chicken over and continue cooking for 3-4 minutes or until golden brown.
- Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Place the wire rack into the pot with the handles up, add the chicken broth.
- Place the chicken on top of the rack.
- Select pressure function for high to 6 minutes per pound (24-30 Minutes).
- When the timer goes off, let the pressure naturally release (do nothing) for 20 minutes.
- Once that is up, release the rest of the pressure and let the chicken rest for 15 minutes before cutting it.
- At this point - if you want it more crispy, set the function to broil for 5 minutes at 450 degrees, if it's to your liking skip this step.
- Serve immediately.
- Store leftovers in the fridge.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 3673Total Fat: 210gSaturated Fat: 58gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 130gCholesterol: 1331mgSodium: 2171mgCarbohydrates: 4gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 414g