These Ninja Foodi Vidalia Onions are the perfect side dish with grilled foods!
Have you ever had a delicious Grilled Vidalia Onion? If so, then you will LOVE these Ninja Foodi Vidalia Onions.
What states grow Vidalia Onions?
That’s it! I had never truly had a Vidalia onion until we went to Georgia…life changing. I actually ordered them this year straight from the source, Morris Farms. They are so perfect, we love to pair ours with grilled steak.
Will Vidalia Onions Make your eyes water?
Not at all like the traditional white onions, they are much lower in pyruvic acid, so you’ll enjoy chopping these much more than the not so sweet kind.
There is actually quite a lot of history behind the Vidalia onion, they even have a museum in Vidalia, Georgia where you can learn all about them.
I’ll tell you too…the traditional sweet onions and Vidalia Onions are different, both sweet…but not equally the same.
If you are going for a low-carb option though, this Air Fryer Vidalia Onion is just what you need!
When is the best time to buy and eat Vidalia onions?
The season starts in late spring and goes right into early fall, this makes the summer and fall grilling season a wonderful time to make these. We typically buy a box of them around May and then they last us throughout the summer.
Tips for Making Ninja Foodi Vidalia Onions:
There are very specific steps to make these Ninja Foodi Vidalia Onions, it’s imperative that you do each step to get the most flavor out of the onion.
In particular, the ice cube that will be inside the onion is going to help it stay moist so that it does not dry out during the cooking process. The beef bouillon cube will bring out that great sweet flavor.
We’ve also found that in testing this in a variety of air fryers, they all tend to heat a bit differently about 5 minutes of the time difference between different models. It’s best to cook these for 20 minutes, at 20 minutes if it’s not tender enough for your preference, add an additional 5 minutes.
It will be soft and translucent in color, easy to pull off the onion with a fork.
How do you make Vidalia Onions in the Air Fryer?
These can also easily be made in the Air Fryer as Air Fryer Vidalia Onions. If you make these in the Ninja Foodi, use the air crisp basic and the air crisp function.
Now let’s get to this tasty recipe for Ninja Foodi Vidalia Onions!
Ninja Foodi Vidalia Onions
- 2 Vidalia Onions
- 2 Beef Bouillon Cubes
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 2 Ice Cubes
- 2 Sheets of Foil
- Begin by peeling the onion and carving a hole in the center of the onion.
- Place the onion on a sheet of foil.
- In that hole, place the beef bouillon cube in the hole as well as the butter.
- Push this down in the hole.
- Add the ice cube right on top of the hole and wrap the onion up in the foil.
- Repeat the steps for the additional onion.
- Place each wrapped onion in the basket of the air fryer or ninja foodi and cook at 390 degrees with the air crisp function for 20 minutes.
- At 20 minutes, carefully (it's hot) pull back the foil and see if it's soft enough for your liking. If so remove and serve.
- If it is not to your liking add an additional 5 minutes.