Grilled Okra is by far one of the best side dishes to make all spring and summer long, even into the fall.
I will show you exactly how to grill okra.
I love Okra. Love it! I posted a while back about our Oven Roasted Okra, that we make frequently; however, I decided to take it up a bit and do grilled okra this summer (remember originally posted in 2013)!
My husband plants tons of okra because I could literally eat it every day all day, so we like to have a lot to keep throughout the year. It never is enough though, I always end up needing more!
How to Grill Okra
This summer, we also planted several onions so I have been using those in our grilled okra to give it a bit of flavor or a little extra flavor I should say.
I also like to add cornmeal to give it some roasted crunch.
Check out ALL of the grilled recipes in the recipe index, these are both grilled and smoked recipes to complete the meal.
Then, we add olive oil and garlic salt to complete this grilled okra. This is an absolute must during the summer when our garden is full of okra.
Remember though, it can be made with fresh or frozen okra.
Remember the onions are optional, so you can skip those too.
We typically grill this around 500*F for about 20-30 minutes. The time will vary based on how your grill is heating, so it is best to watch it carefully.
If you are using frozen okra it may take a bit longer to fully cook usually about an additional 5-10 minutes.
Throughout the cooking time, mix up the okra a bit just to fully get it cooked evenly on all sides. This is best cooked in a cast-iron skillet or a skillet that is safe for the grill.
Check out these additional recipes:
Be sure to check out this Fried Squash too!
Plus, try this Gluten-Free Fried Okra too.
- 2 Cups Sliced Okra Fresh or Frozen
- 1 Clove Crushed Garlic
- 1/8 Cup Chopped Onion (Optional)
- 1/4 Cup Yellow Corn Meal Gluten Free
- Olive Oil
- Garlic Salt or Regular Salt Optional to taste
- In a cast iron skillet (foil/grill pan) coat the bottom with olive oil. Use enough to coat the bottom of the skillet typically about 1-2 Tbsp.
- Place the okra in the skillet then top with the garlic, onion, and corn meal.
- Toss it together to mix then grill it on high heat, about 500*F.
- It typically takes about 10-20 minutes, but keep a close eye as it will vary based on the heat of the grill. Continue turning it to be sure that it’s evenly cooked.
- We like ours to be slightly browned and toasty.