Make a wonderful breakfast with this easy Gluten Free French Toast!
One of my all-time favorite breakfast meals is from First Watch, their Gluten-Free French Toast is AMAZING, so it was only fitting to figure out how to make that same great French toast right at home.
Of course, this isn’t going to be exactly like theirs but it is certainly close and just as yummy.
How do you make Gluten-Free French Toast:
Making this delicious toast is as simple as swapping out the bread. Typically brioche bread would be used, you can actually make a homemade version of gluten-free brioche bread if you want, but in our case, we typically use Canyon Bakehouse White Bread.
Our go-to is the Canyon Bakehouse bread, they have become our household favorite brand.
It is best to use bread that is not fresh, so day-old bread, which is why gluten-free bread happens to work really well because it’s usually shelf-stable longer than traditional gluten-filled bread.
Once you have the bread, simply make a custard-like coating to dip the bread in.
This recipe should use up six slices of bread, but it will depend on the size of the gluten-free bread that you are using.
Can you use milk alternatives for Gluten-Free French Toast?
Milk Alternatives can be used to make this French toast. We like to make this same recipe with Oat Milk, but others can be used as well.
Remember some of the other milk alternatives will not be as creamy as dairy milk.
What should you serve Gluten Free French Toast with?
Fresh fruit is always a great topping. At First Watch, they usually serve it with some Fruit Preserves, which is fabulous.
We typically will top it with warm maple syrup and a dash of cinnamon. Air Fryer Bacon makes a great option for protein to go along with it.
Enjoy this EASY and tasty breakfast!
If you enjoy this recipe, be sure to check out this Ninja Foodi French Toast!
Gluten Free French Toast
- 6 Slices Gluten Free Bread (See Notes)
- 2 Whole Eggs
- 1/4 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2/3 Cup Milk
- 2 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Nutmeg
- In a shallow bowl, whisk the eggs well.
- Add the packed brown sugar and vanilla to the eggs and continue to whisk.
- Add the milk and sprinkle in the cinnamon and nutmeg. Whisk well.
- Warm up a 10-inch skillet on medium-high heat, coating with baking spray or butter.
- Take each slice of bread and dip it into the egg mixture for about 10 seconds, carefully flip and dip the other side.
- Use a fork or slotted spoon to remove the bread from the mixture, letting any excess drip off.
- Place the bread directly onto the skillet, cooking for about 5 minutes on both sides. Flipping throughout the cooking time.
- Continue with all remaining bread slices.
- Serve with warm maple syrup.