Make the BEST creamy Gluten Free Chicken Divan Casserole with simple ingredients!
Chicken Divan is a rich, creamy casserole that combines mayonnaise, sour cream, and cream soup with broccoli, chicken, and cheese to make the ultimate comfort meal.
If you prefer that crunchy texture, add gluten-free breadcrumbs on top and toast it to perfection.
How do you make this recipe gluten-free?
A few swaps are needed to make Gluten-Free Chicken Divan this includes using gluten-free cream soup and gluten-free breadcrumbs if you prefer to use those. These are the only swaps needed; however, always check all ingredients before proceeding.
What type of cream soup should you use for the cream sauce?
This recipe is made with gluten-free cream of mushroom. It can either be store-bought or homemade.
We use this Homemade Gluten-Free Cream of Mushroom Soup. Walmart and Sprouts both carry a store-bought gluten-free cream of mushroom as well.
If you need to, cream of chicken soup can be used as well, just be sure to use cream soups.
Tips for Making Gluten-Free Chicken Divan Casserole:
The recipe calls for 2 cups of cooked rice, this means that you would use 1 cup of uncooked rice and it will typically cook up to 2-3 cups. The best thing to do is to check the package of rice you use to be sure you do not cook too much rice.
The recipe calls for a variety of cheese, it’s best to use a block of cheese and shred it by hand with a cheese grater. The pre-packaged shredded cheese has additives that help it avoid melting. This casserole is best with melted cheese.
The large chicken breasts will need to be cooked first before adding them to a bowl. It can be grilled, air-fried, boiled, or steamed. It’s totally up to you, just be sure to use cooked chicken in the recipe.
Another option is to use a rotisserie chicken, which will allow you to skip the step of cooking the chicken. We do this when we have leftover rotisserie chicken. It works well.
Once you have the chicken cooked, it will be added to a medium-sized bowl and combined with lemon juice.
This recipe also uses frozen broccoli that is steamed. If you use fresh broccoli, boil or steam it first before adding it to the casserole.
The remaining ingredients will all be added into the bowl and mixed to make a creamed chicken, broccoli, and rice mixture. We like to top this with chili powder, but you can do additional spices if you prefer like garlic powder or onion powder too.
This mixture will then be added to a baking dish or casserole dish and layered with shredded cheddar cheese. Finally, before placing the dish in the oven, add breadcrumbs to the top of the casserole if you prefer. We like to serve it with gluten-free buttery crackers, which gives it a great crunch too.
If you want to keep this a low-carb chicken divan casserole, then omit the breadcrumbs.
Once you have the casserole prepared, it’s time to bake it in the oven on medium-high heat at 350 degrees F for about 30 minutes.
How do you store the leftovers?
Leftover casserole can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. When ready to reheat, heat in a microwave-safe dish for 2-3 minutes before serving.
This comfort meal is a great creamy and cheesy casserole that is perfect to feed a crowd. It was a recipe passed on to me by a beloved co-worker of mine many years ago.
Enjoy this chicken casserole dish!
Gluten-Free Chicken Divan
- 4 Cups Cooked and Cubed Chicken Breast
- 1/2 Cup Lemon Juice
- 1 Cup Mayonnaise
- 1 Cup Sour Cream
- 10 oz Gluten-Free Canned Cream of Mushroom
- 2 Cups Frozen Broccoli (16oz)
- 2 Cups Cooked Rice (See Note)
- 1/4 tsp Chili Powder
- 2 Cups Shredded Colby Jack Cheese
- 2 Cups Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- Gluten-Free Breadcrumbs (Optional – See note)
- Begin by cooking and preparing the chicken if not already. This chicken can be seasoned with your choice of seasonings or lemon pepper. Then it can be grilled, air fried, or seared.
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Once the chicken is fully cooked, add it to a bowl and add the lemon juice to the chicken. Mix this well and set aside.
- Add the cooked rice to the bowl with the chicken.
- Steam the frozen broccoli or thaw out per the package instructions.
- Add the broccoli to the bowl with the chicken and rice.
- Add in the mayo, sour cream, and cream of mushroom to the bowl. Mix this well to fully coat all ingredients.
- Using a 9×13 baking dish, spray it with nonstick cooking spray. Add half of the chicken mixture to the bottom of the pan, spread it evenly.
- Top the chicken with 1 cup of each type of cheese and then repeat the layers.
- Add the chili powder to the top of the last layer of cheese.
- Bake in the oven at 350°F for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese has melted.