Just as we approach gardening season these Easy Refrigerator Pickles are the perfect treat!
Use some of your fresh cucumbers to make this delicious batch of Easy Refrigerator Pickles.
These would be perfect for summer cookouts, I know we tend to grill out all summer long and imagining these topped on a juicy burger just has my mouth watering!
Tips for Making Refrigerator Pickles:
Keep in mind that these need to be in the fridge about 4 days before eating them, so this is one of those makes ahead of time recipes by several days. They do last up to 3 months in the fridge, but the longer they are in the fridge past that, they can become less crunchy.
I enjoyed that I could make them the weekend before and just have them sitting there for the week until we were ready to dig in. Then, you can store them in the fridge for several weeks after too.
What cucumbers should you use for Refrigerator Pickles?
These refrigerator pickles can be made with really any cucumber. We prefer to use small pickling cucumbers but you can also use regular cucumbers too.
The reason we prefer the pickling cucumber is that they are soft and do not have quite as many seeds as regular cucumbers. The size is just right too.
What do you need to make Easy Refrigerator Pickles?
- Pickling Cucumbers
- White Onion
- White Vinegar
- Mustard Seed
- Celery Seed
- Red Pepper
- Black Pepper
- Garlic Cloves
Are you ready for some tasty pickles? Eat up!
I used to be a blog partner with Cooking Light, which is the source of this recipe.
Easy Refrigerator Pickles
- 2 Lbs Pickling Cucumbers Thinly Sliced (6 Cups)
- 2 Cups White Onion Thinly Sliced
- 1 1/2 Cups White Vinegar
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1/2 Tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1/2 Tsp Celery Seeds
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Turmeric
- 1/2 Tsp Crushed Red Pepper
- 1/4 Tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 4 Garlic Cloves Thinly Sliced
- Place 3 Cups of the cucumbers in a large bowl, top with a cup of the onion.
- Repeat this method.
- Combine the remaining ingredients in a small saucepan, bringing to a boil and stir well. Let this boil about 1 minute then pour over the mixture.
- Let it cool for about an hour.
- Cover the dish or seal and leave in the fridge for up to 4 days.