Create a delicious, cool, and crisp side dish with this Easy Cucumber Salad!
As we head into the spring and summer, a nice cool easy cucumber salad is a great way to make a delicious side dish with fresh cucumbers.
This is one that I love to make in the summer with fresh cucumbers either grown in the garden or picked up at the farmer’s market. It’s a wonderful side dish that has no need to be baked, a simple combination of pantry ingredients with fresh vegetables.
Tips for Making Easy Cucumber Salad:
Slicing the onion and cucumber is very easy with a mandoline or thinly slice with a sharp knife.
The next thing is deciding what type of cucumbers to use. English Cucumbers are a great choice as they have softer outer skin and do not have large seeds. These are commonly known as a hothouse cucumber.
Warming up the ingredients in the saucepan will allow the sugar to dissolve and soften the vegetables some as well.
Red onion works best for this and gives it a nice addition of color as well, red onions have a great sweetness to them.
What do you need for Cucumber Salad?
- Red Onion
- Celery Seed
Simple pantry ingredients paired with garden-fresh produce makes for a great side dish. This is perfect served for a potluck or a summer side dish with grilled meats.
How long can you store cucumber salad?
Cucumber salad can be stored for up to 4 days in the fridge, it can also be made in advance of 4 days as well. It’s best served very cold, so the longer it’s stored in the fridge the better it will taste.
Be sure that you store it in an airtight container, this keeps the flavor and the texture of the vegetables intact.
Now it’s time to enjoy this Easy Cucumber Salad!
Easy Cucumber Salad
- 3-4 Regular Cucumbers or 2 English Cucumbers Thinly Sliced
- 1 Medium Red Onion Thinly Sliced
- 1 Tbsp Celery Seed
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Cup White Distilled Vinegar
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- Slice the cucumbers and onions, perfect to do with a mandoline.
- Place them in a large bowl.
- Sprinkle with celery seed and salt.
- In a small saucepan, bring vinegar, water, and sugar to boil until the sugar is well dissolved.
- Carefully pour this mixture over cucumbers and mix it up well.
- Place in an airtight container, cover, and seal.
- Chill in the fridge for 2+ hours.
- Serve chilled.