As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. There may be affiliate links within the post.
I was given a free one month subscription to Weight Watchers to try their new Simple Start plan and write about my experience. Though I was compensated for my time and commitment, all views, positive and negative, are my own.
Last week, I shared with you about a new program with Weight Watchers called Simple Start. I am in the works of using the program and this week I have been trying out some of the recipe and meal ideas that Simple Start provides.
This week, I have been really focusing on the food aspect. Simple Start does not require you to measure or keep track of points. It’s really focusing on getting the eating habits back in check. There are many recipe ideas that you can find on either the website or the app. My favorites so far are the breakfast foods.
I used to be really good at eating a healthy breakfast then we got so busy lately, I’m usually grabbing a protein bar and running out the door. I have been trying to get more protein into my breakfast including eating some low fat cottage cheese and eggs for breakfast. My favorite though on the breakfast menu for Simple Start is the toast with cheese and fruit. It’s tasty, delicious, and sweet! It’s also healthy and can easily be paired with some scrambled egg whites for a boost of extra protein.
I decided though to focus on making a lunch or dinner item. I slack off the most at lunch so although I chose a dinner item, I felt like this would make for a good lunch.
I was pretty excited to try the meat alternative that the recipe calls for, then as I was cooking it I realized it had wheat in it. So, I decided to give those to my husband and make myself some with chicken breast that I had already shredded earlier in the week. They were perfect and filling! Of course I could eat plates and plates of lettuce wraps, but my husband and I both enjoyed them.
- 1 Tsp Canola Oil
- 1 Clove Crushed Garlic
- 2 Cups Packaged Coleslaw Mix, Shredded
- 2 Cup Frozen Vegetarian Ground Meat Substitute, Cooked according to package
- 1/2 Cup Cooked Brown Rice
- 6 Leaves Lettuce Bibb Variety
- Lite Soy Sauce
- Ginger/Sesame Seeds, Spices of your Choice
- Set aside the cooked rice until the end.
- Begin by heating the oil over medium heat, then add in the crushed garlic and coleslaw.
- Let this saute about 5-10 minutes or until tender.
- Add in the 'meat' substitute and continuing stirring for another 5-10 minutes until heated through.
- At this point, add in your spices of your choice. I like to use ginger and sesame seeds.
- On each lettuce leaf, add the cooked brown rice, slaw and protein mixture then roll it up and dip in the soy sauce.
Recipe Adapted From: Weight Watchers Simple Start Dinners
So far, for me Simple Start has allowed me to re-evaluate what I eat and when. I have noticed since having my daughter, I get really busy during the day and end up snacking all day instead of eating healthy meals. I need to focus on healthier snacks like Greek yogurt or cheese and cut out the crackers and ‘junk’ foods that I’m snacking on replacing them with nutritious meals, primarily for me that is at lunch time.
Have you tried Simple Start and seen success with it?