An easy frugal meal that’s a little bit sticky but very tasty, Ninja Foodi Teriyaki Chicken Legs.
As we head into another week being at home, frugal meals are a go-to and these Teriyaki Chicken Legs are the perfect choice for that. It’s as easy as making a homemade sauce with pantry items. Plus, I love buying chicken legs or drumsticks because they are so inexpensive!
Can you cook frozen chicken legs in the Ninja Foodi?
If you use frozen chicken legs, they will take longer to cook closer to 40 minutes. I’d suggest thawing them first, if you thaw them first it should only take about 25 minutes to cook in the air fryer.
In the case of air fryer teriyaki chicken legs, it’s best to use thawed so that the sauce soaks into the chicken.
Can you put aluminum foil in the air fryer or Ninja Foodi?
Yes, you can put aluminum foil in the air fryer and it may actually be a good idea for this recipe because these are very messy and sticky. So if you want to avoid the mess as much as possible, foil works well.
If you use foil, be sure the sides are rolled up a bit in order to make sure the air still circulates.
Can you make your own teriyaki sauce?
Teriyaki sauce is a delicious item to make right at home with pantry items. This can be made with teriyaki sauce that’s store-bought, but if you want to make your own, this is what you will need.
- Soy Sauce or Gluten-Free Soy Sauce (or Coconut Aminos)
- Rice Wine Vinegar
- Brown Sugar
- Granulated Sugar
- Ground Ginger
This sauce is also used in the Air Fryer Chicken Teriyaki Bowls.
How do you cook the Ninja Foodi Chicken Teriyaki Chicken Legs?
These will be cooked similar to the Air Fryer Seasoned Chicken Drumsticks. The Air Fryer Chicken Teriyaki Legs will need to be coated with sauce before cooking.
Once they are coated, place them in the air fryer and cook for 20-25 minutes at 390 degrees. The internal temperature must reach at least 165 degrees in order to be fully cooked.
It’s best to coat them once in the beginning, then turn them after 10 minutes and coat again on the other side. I also suggest using foil to avoid it getting too messy in the air fryer.
Once they are browned to your liking it’s time to serve them. They are great paired with rice and beans. This is such a great, easy pantry style meal that is frugal too!
Enjoy this Ninja Foodi Chicken Teriyaki Chicken Legs!
Ninja Foodi Teriyaki Chicken Legs
- 6 Chicken Legs Drumsticks
- 1/2 Cup Gluten-Free Soy Sauce or Regular Soy Sauce Coconut Aminos
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 2 Tbsp Rice Wine Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Brown Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
- 1 Clove Garlic Crushed
- 1 Tsp Ground Ginger
- 1/2 Tbsp Cornstarch
- In a small saucepan, combine the soy sauce, water, rice wine vinegar, brown sugar, regular sugar, garlic, and ginger.
- Whisk well until combined.
- Bring to a low boil on medium-high heat and whisk in the cornstarch.
- Remove from heat and set aside to thicken.
- Line the air fryer with aluminum foil if preferred and coat with olive oil cooking spray, place 6 chicken drumsticks that are thawed in the air fryer.
- Coat them well with the teriyaki sauce and a coat of olive oil cooking spray.
- Cook at 390 degrees for 10 minutes using the air crisp function.
- Rotate the chicken carefully and then coat with another coat of sauce and spray.
- Cook for an additional 10-15 minutes until they reach an internal temperature of 165 degrees or your desired crispiness.