Make these EASY Gluten-Free Fish Sticks with simple pantry-style ingredients in just 10 minutes!
Do you need a great go-to recipe that’s also easy to make gluten-free? These Gluten-Free Fish Sticks are the perfect choice with a nice crunchy breading and pair wonderfully with Tartar Sauce!
What is the best fish to use for homemade fish sticks?
A white fish fillet is the best choice for fish sticks. This can include cod, halibut, tilapia, pollock as well as other white fish.
Some of the most popular store-bought fish sticks use Alaska Pollock, which holds it’s shape really well to make fish sticks.
How do you make Gluten-Free Fish Sticks?
Fish sticks are easy to make gluten-free with just two swaps, this includes flour and bread crumbs.
A gluten-free all-purpose flour will need to be used. Be sure to use a 1:1 flour that can be evenly swapped. We use Better Batter All-Purpose Flour; however, Cup 4 Cup or King Arthur work really well too.
The next thing is to use gluten-free bread crumbs. Any brand will do; however, I prefer to use these Schar Bread Crumbs.
These are the only two swaps needed to make these gluten-free. As always be sure to check all ingredients to avoid any cross contamination.
Tips for Making Gluten-Free Fish Sticks:
Once these are baking, if they look a little bit floury, you can spritz them with Olive Oil Cooking Spray or Grapeseed Oil Cooking Spray.
Either one of these will work well for this recipe. We like to give them a little spritz and it gets them nice and browned if needed.
Remember that when done, the fish will easily flake with a fork. If you prefer to check the fish with a meat thermometer, it would need to be right around 140-145°F to be fully cooked.
If you enjoyed this recipe, you’ll also love this recipe for Fish and Chips!
Gluten-Free Fish Sticks
- 4 6 oz White Fish Fillets (Cod, Halibut, Tilapia, Pollock)
- 1/2 Cup Bread Crumbs or Gluten-Free Bread Crumbs
- 1/4 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese
- 1/4 Tsp Pepper
- 1/4 Tsp Salt or to Taste Preference
- 1/4 Tsp Paprika
- 1 Cup Flour or Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Egg Whites
- Preheat oven to 400*.
- Start by mixing the bread crumbs, Parmesan cheese, pepper, salt, and paprika in a medium-sized bowl.
- Prepare a separate bowl for the flour, and then a final bowl for the egg whites.
- Cut the fish into 1 inch strips. Mine were not perfectly 1 inch; however, in bite sizes pieces works too. Pat the fish dry if needed.
- Then, dip each piece of fish in the flour mixture, coat with the egg mixture, and then finally the breading mixture.
- Place each strip on a greased wire rack and bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Fish should easily flake with a fork.