Get ready for a fish fry with this easy fish and chips recipe, easy to make gluten-free if needed too!
Are you craving a fish fry? We love to do a fish fry at some point throughout the month, but this is the real deal with fried fish and chips. If you prefer less fat, be sure to check out my Air Fryer Fish Recipes.
It’s important to note, this recipe is a bit more involved as well because there are specific steps to frying the fish and as far as the chips go, these are homemade fries, not store-bought.
The other thing to remember is this can be made gluten-free or gluten-filled, with a few swaps.
How do you make Gluten-Free Fried Fish and Chips?
There will need to be a few swaps made for this recipe to make it gluten-free. The first is to decide if you plan to use beer or milk as part of the batter.
If you use beer, be sure to choose a gluten-free beer. Remember though, milk will work as well but beer does give a boost of flavor in the batter too.
The other swap is the flour, be sure to use a gluten-free all-purpose flour that is a 1:1 swap. I use Better Batter, but any 1:1 flour will due that is gluten-free.
Tips for Making Fish and Chips:
Using beer will give the batter more flavor and it actually makes it even more crispy than milk, which is why we typically opt for beer and find a gluten-free beer to use.
The chips or fries for this recipe will be fried twice, once before the fish is fried and again after the fish is fried, so you will be using the pot of oil a few times, be sure to read the recipe fully before beginning.
These can be completed with some tasty Hush Puppies too! If you want to add hush puppies, make the batter and just toss them in the oil after the fries are done and they will quickly be fried and ready to add to the meal.
Let’s enjoy a great fish fry with this Easy Fish and Chips Recipe!
Gluten-Free Fish and Chips
- 6 Fish Fillets Cod, Pollock, Tilapia, or White Fish of your choice
- 1 Cup Gluten-Free or Regular All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Onion Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 12 oz Beer Gluten-Free or Regular or Milk
- Vegetable Oil
- 4 Large Russet Potatoes Peeled & Sliced, into large fingers
- Salt to Taste
- Place the potatoes in a bowl of ice water for 20-30 minutes.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a deep heavy skillet or deep fryer to 330*F.
- Drain the potatoes and dry them with a kitchen towel.
- Carefully, fry the potatoes for about 1 cup at a time in the hot oil for about 2 minutes.
- Remove with a slotted strainer and drain over paper towels.
- Repeat for all potatoes.
- Increase the oil to a temperature of 370*F.
- In a large bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, onion powder, and garlic powder.
- Next, add in the beer or milk, if you are making this gluten-free, be sure the beer is gluten-free.
- Add a little more flour on the fish fillets and toss to coat.
- Add the floured fillets to the batter and let the excess batter drip off.
- Carefully add the fish to the oil at 370*F.
- Cook until the fish is golden for about 2-3 minutes.
- Drain over paper towels.
- To finish the chips, fry the pre-cooked potatoes in the 370*F oil.
- Fry until they are golden brown and crisp, about 4 additional minutes.
- Drain over paper towels.