Today’s guest post comes to us from Kristen, and she has prepared a wonderful meal for St. Patrick’s Day!
St. Patrick’s Day Meal
St. Patrick’s Day is just around the corner, and I’m sure you’re as excited as we are. This is a perfect time for families to gather at the table and enjoy a hearty feast—with matching green outfits to boot!
The traditional menu that we’ve always loved makes this occasion extra special. But we don’t want to spend hours holed up in the kitchen and miss all the fun. So I compiled a list of old favorites that doesn’t require slaving away at the kitchen all day. With these recipes, you’ll have more than enough energy to spare for the St. Paddy’s parade.
Irish soda bread is first on our menu. It’s customary to carve an X on the top of the dough before baking to ward off evil spirits. Everyone will love this because it’s generously slathered with butter. Don’t forget to save yourself a slice!
- 4 lbs. corned beef preferably top rib or silverside
- 2-3 large onions peeled
- 6 cloves
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 large carrots peeled and cut into 3 pieces each
- 4-6 potatoes peeled and halved
- 1 medium-sized green cabbage cut into quarters
- Salt and pepper
- 1.Put the corned beef into a large pot with the onions, and bay leaves.
- 2.Cover with cold water, and then bring to a boil. Reduce heat and then simmer for 2 hours, until the beef is tender. Skim off the scum as it rises.
- 3.Add carrots and potatoes, and then simmer for another 15 minutes.
- 4.Put in the cabbage, and then simmer for 5 more minutes.
- 5.Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- 6.Slice the corned beef on the serving platter and place vegetables on the side. Serve with mustard.
did you make this recipe?
Make sure to tag #mommyhatescoooking on Instagram and follow for more @momhatescooking
This is a holiday about finding good luck and happiness, but we just have to look at our loved ones’ faces to know that we’ve already found our pot of gold. Celebrate your good fortune by serving a delicious St. Patrick’s Day feast for your family. Happy St. Paddy’s Day!
Kristen works as a freelance writer for Backyard Ocean, an online store for above ground swimming pools, inflatable pool toys, and accessories. A work-at-home mom, she also loves to cook and spend time with her daughter in the kitchen.