Make a delicious dinner with this Gluten-Free Mongolian Beef!
If you prefer to make this with the air fryer version, be sure to head over to Air Fryer Mongolian Beef. This is the same great dish but with less oil when made in the Air Fryer.
This recipe today will focus on using the stovetop to make a great meal!
This is my go-to choice when we go to Pei Wei and PF Chang’s, they have Gluten-Free Mongolian Beef, so I knew I had to try this at home. It turned out wonderfully!
How do you make Gluten-Free Mongolian Beef?
This Gluten-Free Mongolian Beef pairs a thin steak with a great sauce using gluten-free soy sauce.
Flank Steak is the best option for this recipe as it will basically melt in your mouth. It’s tender and easy to chew.
It’s very important that this steak be sliced against the grain. This makes it easier to chew and it’s also easier to cut.
What starch should you coat the steak with?
The steak will need to be coated with a starch of some sort. I typically will use cornstarch; however, you can also use potato starch.
I do not suggest using flour though as it does not stick to the meat as starch does.
It’s best to start with the amount listed in the recipe, then add additional cornstarch if needed to lightly coat the steak.
What should you pair Gluten-Free Mongolian Beef with?
We like to pair ours with rice and green beans. I also tend to top it with sliced green onions.
This could also be paired with stir fry veggies too.
Tips for Making Gluten-Free Mongolian Beef:
When cooking the steak in the skillet at the beginning, cook it until it’s lightly pink or medium-well.
Once you are done cooking it and drain it, then you will return it to the skillet along with the sauce and it will cook for an additional 10 minutes.
At this point, it will finish completely cooking and you will avoid overcooking the steak.
Enjoy this delicious gluten-free dinner!
Gluten-Free Mongolian Beef
- 2 Tsp Vegetable Oil
- 1/2 Tsp Ginger
- 1 Tbsp Minced Garlic
- 1/2 Cup Soy Sauce or Gluten Free Soy Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Water
- 3/4 Cup Brown Sugar Packed
- 2 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 1 Lb Flank Steak
- 1/4 Cup Corn Starch
- 3 Green Onions Sliced
- White Rice Optional
- In a small saucepan, warm up the oil then place in the remaining sauce ingredients and let this simmer for about 10 minutes. I put this on low and let it continue to warm while I cooked the steak.
- Slice the steak against the grain in 1/4 inch slices that are bite size.
- Place the steak in a Ziploc bag with the corn starch, seal, and shake to coat the steak. Alternatively, this can also be done in a large bowl.
- In a large skillet, heat 2 Tbsp of oil on medium-high heat and cook the steak until it is medium-well or lightly pink. This will take about 6-8 minutes.
- Carefully place the steak on a paper towel-lined plate so the oil can drip out and rinse the skillet.
- Place the steak back into the skillet on medium-high heat and carefully pour in the sauce. Stir or flip the steak occasionally so that it does not stick.
- Let this cook for 8-10 minutes until the sauce was completely soaked into the steak. In the final 1-2 minutes, add the sliced green onions.
- Once the steak is nice and coated serve it on top of cooked rice with additional green onions.
did you make this recipe?
Make sure to tag #mommyhatescoooking on Instagram and follow for more @momhatescooking
Comments & Reviews
This is one of my daughter’s favorites. We made the Cooking Light version on Monday night and served with snow peas.