Get ready for a delicious dinner with this Gluten-Free Creamy Chicken Pot Pie.
During these fall and winter months, creamy and warm meals are a must-have. This Gluten-Free Creamy Chicken Pot Pie is the perfect choice for a cozy meal.
Chicken Pot Pie is a meal that I feel symbolizes home, does it for you? I’ll admit though when we had these as a kid they were store-bought, not homemade.
Now, I know how to make them mostly from scratch and they are even better.
How do you make Creamy Chicken Pot Pie?
There are a few key ingredients for this Creamy Chicken Pot Pie, that includes cream and butter.
Dairy is a big part of this recipe, and when you purchase dairy from your local store, you are supporting the dairy farmers in your area.
Another important ingredient is, of course, the vegetables and chicken too. I use frozen mixed vegetables to make this, makes it easy to get all the vegetables I want in one bag.
Finally, the crust is a big factor. I have found that I really like the King Arthur Gluten-Free Pie Crust for this recipe. It works well and gives that flaky crust that I prefer.
What do you need for Gluten Free Creamy Chicken Pot Pie?
- Pastry Dough
- Shredded Chicken
- Chicken Broth
- Gluten-Free All-Purpose Flour
- Mixed Vegetables
- Diced Onion
This may look like a bunch of ingredients; however, each of these will likely be in your pantry or fridge.
Of course, we keep the butter and cream on hand at all times.
Tips for Making Gluten-Free Creamy Chicken Pot Pie
There are several Gluten-Free Pie Mixes available as well, I tend to use a gluten-free pie crust mix that you can pick up at your local store.
If you do not need it to be gluten-free, feel free to use your favorite pastry dough or pie mix. I also enjoy making this with a top and bottom pie crust.
Another thing to remember is that the egg wash on top is what is going to give the color to the chicken pot pie.
The important thing to do is to use real butter plus creams such as half and half. It will work the best to give it that creamy filling.
By purchasing these ingredients, you are also supporting your local dairy farm families.
It’s perfect from farm to fridge. I may not be from a farming family, but I feel like Chicken Pot Pie would be a staple for farming families.
It just makes me think of sitting at the kitchen table seeing the animals in the fields nearby.
I’ll just imagine that happens in my slice of the country too. We live in a little slice of country and are in the heart of cattle country, so we are often thinking of the dairy farmers in the area.
It’s because of them that we have all this great food to use for meals and recipes.
Now, it’s time to enjoy this delicious Gluten-Free Creamy Chicken Pot Pie.
First, grab the e-book to have it right at your fingertips! Check out, these 15 Easy Gluten-Free Recipes in this e-book.
Gluten-Free Creamy Chicken Pot Pie
Gluten Free Creamy Chicken Pot Pie
- 2 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 4 Cups Cooked Shredded Chicken
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth
- 2/3 Cup Cream Half & Half
- 1/3 Cup Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
- 16 oz Frozen Mixed Vegetables
- 1/4 Cup Diced White Onion
- 1/8 Tsp Ground Thyme
- 1 Gluten Free Pie Crust Mix or Pastry Dough
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tbsp Water
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Prepare the pie dough if needed, per the instructions of the one you are using.
- In a large stock pot, add in the butter, shredded chicken, chicken broth, and cream. Warm this up on medium-high heat to a low boil.
- Once it begins to boil, reduce heat and whisk in the flour.
- Mix in the vegetables and onion. Let this simmer on medium heat for about 10 minutes.
- While the filling is simmering, begin to prepare the pastry dough. Spray a 9 inch pie pan and place one portion of the dough on the bottom. If you only have enough for the top, that is okay too. Be sure to cut it in the shape of the pan you are using.
- Once you have the pastry dough covering the bottom of the pie pan, pour in the filling.
- Cover the top with the remaining pastry dough.
- Whisk together the egg and water.
- Brush over the top of the pastry dough.
- Bake in the oven for 1 hour or until nicely browned on top.
- Cool for 5 minutes and serve.