Welcome in the new season with this delicious Gluten Free Chicken Pot Pie. Also, remember this can be made gluten-filled too if you do not have an intolerance to gluten. This post was originally posted last year, but it’s so perfect for fall I’m sharing it again!
Now that I am gluten free, there are a few meals that I miss such as chicken pot pie. This past week, I finally found a version that taste as good as the real deal and filled that pot pie void in my life.
Chicken Pot Pie is one of those meals that speaks comfort to me. I feel like it is the perfect dinner on Sunday night with the family, the perfect home cooked meal to get the week started.
I have tried gluten free chicken pot pie in the past with homemade crust; however, I have never found one that really comes close to that flaky delicious pastry style crust. That is until I was browsing the store and came across pre-made gluten free pie pastry dough. I found this at my local grocery store near the cookie dough.
There is a bit of a trick with using gluten free pastry dough, you do need to roll it out on floured parchment paper first into the round shape that will fit the pie pan. Then, you flip it over onto the pie pan, so that the parchment paper is facing up and then slowly peel it off. This is to keep the dough from tearing apart because it does tear quite easily.
I decided to do a mixture of frozen mixed veggies along with fresh chopped onions paired with spices to really give our pot pie a good flavor. It came out of the oven perfectly brown, flaky, warm, and delicious.
Chicken Pot Pie
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 4 Cups Cooked and Shredded Rotisserie Chicken
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth
- 2/3 Cup of Cream
- 1/3 Cup of Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
- 1 16oz Bag of Mixed Vegetables
- ¼ Cup Diced Onion
- 1/8 Tsp Ground Thyme
- ¼ Tsp Rosemary Leaves
- 1 Refrigerated Container of Gluten Free Pastry Dough or Regular Pastry Dough
- 1 Egg
- 2 Tbsp Water
- Preheat oven to 375*.
- In a large stockpot, add in the butter, then the chicken, broth and cream. Bring this up to a boil.
- Whisk in the flour, lowering the heat.
- Add in the mixed veggies and onion; let it heat through about 5-10 minutes.
- Mix in the Thyme and Rosemary.
- Pour mixture into a greased 9-inch pie pan.
- Knead and roll out the pastry dough onto a sheet of parchment paper in a round shape, once rolled, place the dough over the pie pan. At this point the parchment paper should be facing up. Carefully peel the parchment paper away from the dough then seal the dough around the pie pan.
- Mix together the egg and water to make an egg wash then carefully spread it over the crust.
- Sprinkle additional rosemary if desired and bake in the oven for 35 minutes or until browned on top.
It was simply a taste of heaven for this gluten free girl’s world! Our pot pie was nearly gone after day one because we kept going back for more. Then, the next day my mother-in-law devoured some too, she did not even know it was gluten free and could not tell the difference when I let her in on that secret later.
That’s the kind of gluten free foods I love, those foods that no one suspects it’s gluten free.
Ready for a warm meal tonight? Try this Gluten Free Chicken Pot Pie!
Need more recipe ideas? Check out the Recipe Index by Mommy Hates Cooking.We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.Disclaimer: This post contains links to products that I recommend. Many of those links may be affiliate links. In using those links, it does support the ongoing post and recipes shared on this website.