Make a batch of Easy Hot Chocolate Mix that is perfect to store and use all season long!
It’s that time of year for hot chocolate and holiday movies, this hot chocolate mix is a great one to store for up to 3 months and use all season long.
One thing I’ve come to find over the years is you can easily make some of your favorite go-to items like hot chocolate with simple, pantry ingredients and then store it in an airtight container. That way you can make it all throughout the season with a delicious homemade hot chocolate mix.
What do you need to make Hot Chocolate Mix from scratch?
- Powdered Sugar
- Instant Dry Milk
- Unsweetened Cocoa Milk
- Granulated Sugar
That’s all you need to make this easy mix. Then, you can use an airtight container or jar and keep it for up to 3 months in the pantry.
How do you make hot chocolate?
For this particular recipe, you will combine 1/3 cup of hot chocolate mix with 1 cup of warm milk or water in a mug and mix it up. A quick tip too, you can use this same mix to add to coffee and make a delicious mocha too!
If you want to make a mocha, simply mix in the hot chocolate mix with the coffee and add some warm cream or milk. A wonderful little morning treat.
Do you need to use Unsweetened Cocoa?
Yes, be sure to use unsweetened cocoa because you are using powdered sugar and granulated sugar, if you use any sweetened chocolate it’s going to make it too sweet.
This cocoa is easily found in the baking aisle at the grocery store or maybe even in your pantry!
As we head into the month, I’m going to be sharing a few variations using this hot chocolate mix that includes Peppermint Hot Chocolate and Hot Chocolate Cookies, be sure to stay tuned for some more ways to use this mix.
Remember, it’s wonderful to make and take as a gift too, paired with some Gingerbread Cookies.
Homemade Hot Chocolate Mix
- 2 Cups Powdered Sugar Sifted
- 2 Cups Instant Dry Milk
- 1 Cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder Sifted
- 1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
- In a large bowl, sift the powdered sugar.
- Sift in the instant dry milk on top of the powdered sugar.
- Sift in the cocoa powder on top of the milk and powdered sugar.
- Whisk all of this together.
- Whisk in the granulated sugar until well combined.
- Store in an airtight container or jar for up to 3 months.
- To make the hot chocolate, add 1/3 cup of mix in a mug and stir in 1 cup warm milk, add the toppings of choice.