As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. There may be affiliate links within the post.
As we head into spring and the upcoming Easter season, this Carrot Cake Trifle should be a must on your dessert list!
Of course one of the staples at our Easter gathering is always Carrot Cake. It’s just a given, right? Well, what if you take that homemade carrot cake and turn it into a delicious fruit-infused trifle? It’s heavenly!
My husband could not stay out of this and after about day 3 of him eating it, he told me I had to make this again for Easter. I was already 10 steps ahead of him because it’s on my list. It should be on yours too.
This can be made with a great gluten-free flour or regular flour.
How do you make Carrot Cake Trifle?
I decided to adapt my great aunt’s Old Fashioned Carrot Cake recipe to make this trifle. I made the carrot cake but then crumbled it up to make the trifle, mixed it with the cream cheese frosting and it’s just divine.
Then, I added canned peaches and apples to it too. At this point, you can add in any fruit topping that you prefer.
Those two seemed to compliment the flavors of the carrot cake well and turned out beautifully too. I think the best part though of the cake is all the black walnuts that are sprinkled on the trifle too.
This is one of those that you can easily make and get your kids involved too.
Now, are you ready for a bite? It’s time to dig in!
Be sure to check out this Old Fashioned Carrot Cake too!
- 1 1/2 Cups Granulated Sugar
- 1 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 1/2 Tbsp Hot Water
- 3 Eggs
- 1 Tsp Baking Soda
- 1 1/2 Cups All-Purpose Flour or Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Tsp Cinnamon
- 1 Tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 Tsp Ground Nutmeg
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 Cup Grated Carrots
- 1/2 Cup Black Walnuts
- 1 Stick Unsalted Butter, Softened
- 1 8 oz Package Cream Cheese, Softened
- 1 Tsp Vanilla
- 3 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1/2 Black Walnuts, Reserve a few for the topping
- 1 Can of Peach Fruit Filling
- 1 Can of Apple Fruit Filling
- Reserved Black Walnuts
- Preheat the oven to 350*.
- Combine all the cake ingredients except the walnuts in order in a stand mixer.
- Add in 1/2 Cup of Black Walnuts to the batter.
- Spray 2 8 inch cake pans with non-stick spray.
- Pour 1/2 of the batter in each round cake pan.
- Bake for 35 minutes on 350* or until fully cooked.
- Let the cakes cool for about 5-10 minutes then rip them up into small pieces and set aside in a bowl.
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the butter and cream cheese.
- Whisk in the vanilla and powdered sugar, fold in the walnuts.
- Mix this well until the icing is formed.
- In a trifle bowl, add half the cake to the bottom, then fruit filling, and a layer of icing and black walnuts.
- Repeat this and add additional black walnuts to the top.
- Serve immediately or chill and serve.