Copycat Zio’s Tomato Florentine Soup
One of my favorite dinners or even lunch in the fall and winter is grilled cheese and tomato soup. The ultimate tip to having the perfect grilled cheese and tomato soup is the soup! The condensed tomato out of the can is just not the same as having homemade tomato soup.
This soup includes flour and it’s that one little drop of flour that makes me unable to eat it at the restaurant; however, it is so easy to make at home with a gluten free flour alternative! All I did was a simple switch of flour and my guest could not tell the difference.
Another change I made to this recipe was substituting fat free 1/2 & 1/2 instead of the heavy cream. It did make it a bit less creamy than the original but the savings on fat and calories made it worth it plus it was still amazing!
Copycat Zio's Tomato Florentine Soup
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- 3 Tbsp Flour or Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
- 3/4 Cup Diced Onion
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Clove Fresh Garlic
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth
- 1 28oz Can Crushed Tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp Ketchup
- 3/4 Cup Vegetable Juice
- 1/2 Tbsp Dried Basil
- 2 Tbsp Dried Dill Weed
- 1/4 Tsp Hot Pepper Sauce
- Pinch of Sugar
- Pinch of Black Pepper
- 2 Tbsp White Cooking Wine
- 2 Cups Fat Free 1/2 and 1/2
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Chopped Spinach
- Begin by heating the 3 Tbsp of Butter and whisk in the flour over medium heat. Once this gets bubbly and well combined set aside.
- In a large stock pot, place the onion and butter and saute them over medium heat, adding in the garlic. Let this simmer for about 5 minutes then add in the chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, ketchup, vegetable juice, basil, dill, hot pepper sauce, sugar, pepper, and wine.
- Let this simmer and cook for about 15 minutes.
- Next add in the flour and butter mixture that was sitting aside, whisk this in. Let this cook and simmer for 30 minutes on medium heat.
- Pour in the 1/2 and 1/2 and mix well then add in the spinach.
- Let this warm for about 5 minutes then serve.
Recipe Adapted From: Food.com
Enjoy this wonderful soup!
Need more recipe ideas? Check out the Recipe Index by Mommy Hates Cooking.