Warm-up with a bowl of Creamy Tomato Florentine Soup. This soup is the perfect tomato soup paired with grilled cheese.
Creamy Tomato Florentine Soup is made with a wonderful tomato base, it simmers right on the stove and is wonderful on a cold, crisp day.
One of my favorite memories of college is going to the nearby cafe for tomato soup and grilled cheese on cold days. I remember taking a break in between classes, heading to that cafe to do homework and enjoy their delicious soup and sandwiches.
Anytime that I have grilled cheese and tomato soup, it takes me right back to that time in life. It’s funny how certain foods even can trigger memories that are so real.
Now, I love to make a big pot of tomato florentine soup for my family to pair with a grilled cheese sandwich. We had such a great fall day recently and came home to make this for dinner and it just brought all those memories back.
How do you make Creamy Tomato Florentine Soup?
This soup is very similar to Zio’s Tomato Florentine Soup, for those that are familiar with Zio’s. This recipe may look complicated compared to my quick and easy recipes, but it’s actually very simple.
I prefer to do this one on the stove as opposed to my Ninja Foodi or Slow Cooker.
If you do prefer the Ninja Foodi, be sure to check out these Ninja Foodi Soup Recipes.
This dutch oven is the best choice for making Creamy Tomato Florentine Soup. It allows you to make the entire soup right there in the dutch oven on the stove.
What type of cream do you use for Creamy Tomato Florentine Soup?
Now, the creamy part is made with the cream of course. I use 1/2 & 1/2 for this recipe; however, you can also use heavy cream too. It’s up to you. I have made it with skim milk too, it’s still delicious but not nearly as creamy.
How do you make this tomato soup gluten-free?
The only part of this recipe that is not gluten-free, is 3 tbsp of flour. In order to make this gluten-free, do a simple switch of flour with gluten-free all-purpose flour.
Tips for making Creamy Tomato Florentine Soup:
This soup is best when it thickens, it’s good to let it sit after cooking for about 5 minutes to thicken and makes it nice and filling too.
It’s also best paired with a grilled cheese sandwich, of course. If you are gluten-free, use your favorite gluten-free bread but dip it in this soup and enjoy it.
Now, are you ready to enjoy some Creamy Tomato Florentine Soup? It’s time to warm up with a bowl and of course a grilled cheese too.
Creamy Florentine Soup
- 3/4 Cup Diced Onion
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Clove Garlic
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth
- 28 oz Canned Tomatoes
- 1 Tbsp Ketchup
- 3/4 Cup Vegetable Juice
- 1/2 Tbsp Dried Basil
- 2 Tbsp Dried Dill Weed
- 1/4 Tsp Hot Pepper Sauce
- 1 Pinch Sugar
- 1 Pinch Black Pepper
- 2 Tbsp White Cooking Wine
- 3 Tbsp Butter
- 3 Tbsp Gluten-Free or Regular All-Purpose Flour
- 2 Cups Half and Half
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Chopped Spinach
- In a large stockpot, place the onion and butter and saute them over medium heat, adding in the garlic. Let this simmer for about 5 minutes.
- Add in the chicken broth, crushed tomatoes, ketchup, vegetable juice, basil, dill, hot pepper sauce, sugar, pepper, and wine.
- Let this simmer and cook for about 15 minutes.
- While this is simmering, melt the butter and whisk in the flour over medium heat or in the microwave.
- Whisk this mixture into the stockpot and let the soup simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Whisk in or mix in the 1/2 & 1/2, then add in the spinach. Stir this well to combine.
- Let this warm and simmer for about 5 minutes.