Cheesy Asparagus & Peas
As I flipped through the pages of one of my great aunt’s old cookbooks, I landed on a recipe for Asparagus and Peas with Cheese Sauce. Then, I realized this could be dangerous. I love cheesy veggies, especially baked cheesy veggies.
One of my favorite cheese covered veggies are these Cheesy Taters. I imagined this recipe would taste very similar and it did not let me down! This plate of delicious cheesy veggies would be perfect on your Easter dinner table or really any night of the week. My daughter loved these veggies, my son is still on the fence when it comes to veggies. Right now, my daughter is in the eats anything in her path stage!
My husband is not a big fan of peas or asparagus, but as soon as it was topped with cheese he was digging in too. The asparagus was much more tender and delicious being baked then how I have cooked it in the past.
Are you ready for a bite?
- 1 Can of Peas
- 1 Bundle of Asparagus
- 1 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Tbsp Flour or Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
- 1/2 Tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1 Cup Grated Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1. Preheat the oven to 400*.
2. Melt the butter in a medium sauce pan, then stir in the flour and salt.
3. Pour in the milk and whisk until it thickens a bit.
4. Add in the cheese and whisk or stir until it is melted and the sauce is formed.
5. Place the veggies in a greased casserole dish.
6. Pour the sauce evenly over the veggies.
7. Bake for 20 minutes at 400* or until the sauce starts to slightly brown and become bubbly.
Adapted From: Dexter Centennial Cookbook
Need more recipe ideas? Check out the Recipe Index by Mommy Hates Cooking.