This post is part of the SPLENDA® 365 Sweet SwapsTM Blogger Program by McNeil Nutritionals, LLC and The Motherhood, who sent me products and compensated me for my time. Opinions, experiences and photos shared here are my own, and I hope you enjoy them.
This past week, I have been trying out a few Sweet Swaps with SPLENDA® to make my meals a little bit lighter. I was craving these Tangy Meatballs and thought it would be the perfect swap! Did you know that SPLENDA® makes a brown sugar substitute? I was unaware of all the varieties available to make delicious sweet swaps!
As I worked with SPLENDA® I learned that experts actually recommend that women eat no more than 6 Tsp of added sugar daily, the surprising part is that we actually eat on average 22.2 Tsp! That is A LOT of sugar!
I also found out they have a product called Flavors for Coffee, this is perfect for my coffee on the go in the mornings!
My focus though for this Sweet Swap was the brown sugar. I love my Tangy Meatballs, but the best part is that tangy sauce that is loaded with brown sugar. I decided to swap it with the Brown Sugar Blend, I used 1/2 the amount that I would normally use of the brown sugar based on the conversion charts.
At first, I thought it was going to be too gritty or not dissolve like the regular brown sugar, but I was wrong! It tasted EXACTLY the same as the original brown sugar. The best part is I cut a ton of the calories out without sacrificing any of the flavor.
This will likely be my new way to make these Tangy Meatballs. I love that this recipe also makes a lot of meatballs, so I was easily able to freeze half for meals to use throughout the month.
Can you think of recipes that you enjoy regularly that would probably do good with a sweet swap? I think I’ll be doing the sweet swap with a few cookie recipes too and a few of our every day recipes like salsa.
Time to dig in!
Be sure to head over to 365 Sweet Swaps for more delicious recipe ideas!
Need more recipe ideas? Check out the Recipe Index by Mommy Hates Cooking.
- 2 Eggs Beaten
- 2 Cups Quick Cooking Oats if GF use Certified GF Oats
- 1 12 oz Can of Evaporated Milk
- 1 Cup Chopped Onion
- 2 Tsp Salt
- 1/2 Tsp Pepper
- 1/2 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 3 lbs Lean Ground Beef
- 2 Cups Ketchup
- 3/4 Cup SPLENDA® Brown Sugar Blend
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Onion
- 1 Tsp Liquid Smoke
- 1/2 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1. In a large bowl combine first seven ingredients, crumble beef over the mixture and mix well.
- 2. Shape the meat into 1 1/2 inch balls. Using the tablespoon measuring spoon works well to shape these.
- 3. Place in two lightly greased 13x9x2 inch baking pans.
- 4. Bake these uncovered for 30 minutes at 375*.
- 5. Remove from the oven and drain them.
- 6. Place all meatballs in one of the pans. Set Aside.
- 7. In a small saucepan bring all sauce ingredients to a boil.
- 8. Pour over the meatballs and return to the oven.
- 9. Bake these uncovered for 20 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Note: When I make these and get to #6, I split up the meatballs, putting 24 in a baking dish and 24 in a freezer safe container. Then, I cover them with the sauce and return to the oven. Once they cool, I put a lid on the freezer safe dish and store. These last for several months, when reheating you can reheat at 350* until warm or heat in a microwave safe dish.