Slow Cooker Brats
Slow Cooker Brats are a great option for a quick dinner.
Now that football is behind us, it’s time to focus on basketball, right? Now, basketball is a sport I can really get behind. It’s fast and moving constantly. My patience wears thin with football, I mean 49 seconds left and it takes 10 minutes just to play those 49 seconds. This girl just can’t take it.
Now, of course just as with football the game day food may be even more important than the actual game…or maybe that’s just me. The thing with fast moving sports like basketball is that you need hot and ready foods because there won’t really be ‘down time’ to miss the game and grab a bite or you may really miss something important, right?
I simply seared the brats then placed a few additional ingredients along with them in the slow cooker for just about 2-4 hours and they were ready to go. I actually like to sit this out as a ‘burrito’ type bar, with all the toppings such as tortillas, avocados, cheese, and salsa. Then, guests can pick and choose the toppings they want to add and wrap that delicious brat in a warm flour tortilla.
Did I mention it’s fast too? Plus, you can leave them in the slow cooker on warm to keep them nice and toasty in case someone does need to run and grab seconds or thirds during the game.
I decided to use Johnsonville Brats for this dish in the cheddar flavor, those are my husband’s favorite!
Slow Cooker Brats
- 3 12oz Cans of Beer
- 2 Tbsp Butter
- 1 Medium Yellow or White Onion, Sliced
- 6 Sweet Mini Peppers, Sliced
- Johnsonville Brats
- Toppings - Tortillas, Avocado, Shredded Cheese, Salsa
- Begin by adding the beer, butter, and veggies to the slow cooker and turn on high.
- Heat a grill pan or a skillet to medium high heat and spray with non stick cooking spray. Sear the brats on all sides until they reach 160*.
- Add the brats to the slow cooker and let them cook for an additional 2 hours.
- Reduce the heat to warm to keep them warm during the game.
What toppings do you love on brats? What other foods would you serve alongside these? Share them with us!
Need more recipe ideas? Check out the Recipe Index by Mommy Hates Cooking.