This is typically when I would be posting another recipe from Decades of Desserts, but this one is going to be a bit different! I just had to share the Bacon Cornbread that we served with our chili. It is still one of my great great aunt’s recipes, so it comes from many decades ago.
It was actually fun to read the original recipe that says add bacon grease to it, I rarely see many people using bacon grease in their recipes. I know my husband actually likes to because that is how his grandma taught him to do it. This recipe though I just substituted it and used butter.
If you cook with bacon grease by all means, add it!
This was a very simple cornbread recipe that is filled with bacon and taste fabulous. It also calls for green peppers, I decided to skip those since I do not like spicy but they would work perfectly if you like peppers.
What do you enjoy your cornbread with? I love it with chili or with soup, my husband though likes it with a tall glass of milk.
Have you visited our Products list? Be sure and check out Mommy Hates Cooking Products and Services.
Need more recipe ideas? Check out the Recipe Index by Mommy Hates Cooking.
Old Fashioned Bacon Cornbread
- 1 Cup All Purpose Flour or Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
- 3 Tsp Baking Powder
- 3 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 1 Cup Yellow Corn Meal
- 9 Slices Cooked Crisp Bacon Torn into bite size pieces
- 1 Egg Beaten
- 1 Cup Milk
- 1/4 Cup Melted Butter
- Preheat oven to 425*.
- In a large bowl of a stand mixer, pour all the ingredients in order into the bowl.
- Mix well until the batter has formed.
- Spread evenly into an 8 inch pie pan that is sprayed with non stick cooking spray.
- Bake in the oven on 425* for 25 minutes or until browned on top.
did you make this recipe?
Make sure to tag #mommyhatescoooking on Instagram and follow for more @momhatescooking