As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. There may be affiliate links within the post.
Start your day with chocolate gravy and biscuits learning how to make chocolate gravy!
My husband and kids have a favorite when it comes to breakfast and that is Chocolate Gravy. I was first introduced to Chocolate Gravy when I met my husband.
He would rave about it that his Granny made it for him all the time growing up and then when we would visit her, she would be sure she always made it every time he was there.
He has since been making it for our family. It’s a family favorite at our home especially with my husband and our kids.
Now, my husband makes this regularly for our kids. They ask for it EVERY Saturday morning, like clockwork.
We don’t make it every Saturday morning, but occasionally…YES!
What is Chocolate Gravy?
Chocolate Gravy is essentially gravy with cocoa powder added to it. It’s very well known in the southern parts of United States.
In particular, in the Ozark states, Chocolate Gravy is typically a household breakfast.
That holds true for my husband, his grandma grew up in St. Joe, Arkansas in the middle of the Ozarks.
Can you make Chocolate Gravy without Chocolate Milk?
Yes! This can be made with regular milk as a classic chocolate gravy recipe. That would be the traditional way of making it.
If you want to do Double Chocolate Gravy, simply use chocolate milk for double the fun!
What do you need to make Chocolate Gravy?
- Regular Milk or Chocolate Milk
- Chocolate Baking Powder
- Vanilla Extract
We always pair our gravy with a batch of homemade biscuits, it’s a tasty way to start the day.
This is one of those recipes that my husband makes regularly for our kids. It’s a tradition that he has passed on. My kids immediately know what this dish is and he started teaching them all about it as soon as they could eat solid foods!
I still prefer a classic regularly gravy, but I know this one is very popular in our home.
- 1 1/2 Cups Chocolate Milk or Regular Milk
- 1/3 Cup of Sugar
- 1/4 Cup of Flour or Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour
- 1 Tbsp Chocolate Baking Powder
- 1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
- In a small sauce pan warm the milk on the stove. This will need to be warm but not boiling.
- In a small bowl, mix all the dry ingredients.
- Once the milk has warmed, pour 1/4 cup of milk into the dry ingredients and whisk together.
- Then, whisk the dry ingredients into the milk in the sauce pan and add vanilla, continue to stir until thickened.