As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. There may be affiliate links within the post.
Make a fun treat for the whole family this holiday season with Grandma’s Goop or Easy Holiday Party Snack Mix!
Christmas time always brings back memories, and for me one of my fondest memories is making Goop with grandma.
I believe it was called Goop because it was my grandma’s way of cleaning out her cupboards. She would literally take all the snack food she had such as cereals, pretzels, nuts and make what she called Goop.
Many will refer to this as a form of Chex Mix; however, hers never tasted like Chex Mix to me.
What is Holiday Party Mix or Grandma’s Goop?
My sister and I would go over to her house, conveniently she lived around the block, and we would help her make the trash bags full of Goop. Then, she would bag it up and take it to each family member. I am sure most of my family waited each year for Goop, they all knew it was coming right along with her famous fudge!
I decided to make my own version of it recently. It tasted really good; however, I will say hers still tasted better.
This is a very versatile recipe. Each year our Goop had something different, I remember one year we had Trix in it and another year we had Honey-Comb cereal in it.
Tips for Making Holiday Party Mix or Grandma’s Goop
My grandma did not really care for measurements or moderation, which is why I believe it tasted so good. She did not necessarily stick to 4 Tbsp of Worcestershire sauce, she bathed the mixture in the sauce of whatever amount she thought was necessary.
Turn Holiday Party Mix into Gifts!
Another thing she always did was turn this into a frugal gift for family members. I used clear gift bags and then put a few cups of Goop in each bag, these make for delicious gifts!
The sky is the limit with Grandma’s Goop, take this recipe and run with it, and I am sure you will not be disappointed.
- 4.1 oz Bag of Bugles
- 3 Cups Pretzels
- 2 Cups Cheerios
- 1 Cup Honey Roasted Peanuts
- 2 Tbsp Seasoned Salt, to taste
- 1 Tbsp Garlic Powder, to taste
- 4 Tbsp Worcestershire Sauce, to taste
- This made about 10 Cups of Goop.
- Preheat oven to 400*. Mix bugles, pretzels, cheerios, peanuts and coat with Worcestershire sauce and seasonings. Then, place on a greased baking dish. I used a 9 x 13 pan for mine and baked it in the oven for 10 minutes. I usually bake this until it is slightly browned.
- Note: As kids, we made this by taste, so my grandma would use as much seasonings and Worcestershire sauce as needed. It would generally drip in sauce when it was going into the oven. The amounts will need to be changed based on how much you are using but it is easily adaptable. It can also be made with any cereals, pretzels, and nuts that you have on hand customizing to your taste.