Enjoy a delicious pot of Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings, a warm, comfort meal!
Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings is a classic, warm meal that is perfect to put on in the afternoon and have ready for dinner. This recipe only takes about 4 1/2 hours, so it is not a set and forget it all day recipe, be sure to keep that in mind.
Can you put raw chicken in the crockpot?
Raw chicken is okay to put in the crockpot as long as you fully cook it. In the case of Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings, it will be cooked after about 3 hours. It needs to have an internal temperature of at least 165*F to be fully considered done.
If you prefer, you can sear the outsides of the chicken first if you would like to brown it up a bit, otherwise, you can put it in raw.
Does this recipe use Canned Biscuits?
This recipe does use canned biscuits for the dumplings, it’s a more in-depth version of this version of Chicken and Dumplings. It uses more flavors and vegetables to really give it a boost.
The biscuits will not taste like fully cooked biscuits they will be more doughy like a dumpling, which is exactly what you are going for with this recipe.
Tips for Making Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings:
The biscuits will be rolled and cut to make smaller bites into dumplings. If this sits for too long more of the liquid will soak into the ingredients and dumplings, if this happens add a bit more chicken broth to thin it out some before serving.
This recipe is best served warm right out of the crockpot.
The biscuits in my crockpot are always cooked wonderfully right at about an hour, if you want yours cooked a little bit longer, just leave them in the crockpot for about 15 extra minutes.
If you prefer homemade dumplings, be sure to check out this recipe for Homemade Dumplings.
Now it’s time to enjoy this fabulous recipe for Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings.
If you enjoyed this then you will love these Chicken Fire Cracker Meatballs too!
Crockpot Chicken and Dumplings
- 2 Cups Sweet Onion Diced
- 2 Stalks Celery Cleaned & Diced
- 2 Lbs Boneless Skinless Chicken Breast
- 1 Tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 Tsp Dried Thyme
- 10.5 oz Cream of Celery Soup
- 10.5 oz Cream of Chicken Soup
- 2 Cups Chicken Broth See Notes
- Salt/Pepper to Taste
- 2 Cups Frozen Peas and Carrots Defrosted
- 1 Can 8-10 Refrigerated Biscuits
- Cut onion and scatter evenly on the bottom of the crockpot.
- Cut celery and add on top of the onion.
- Lay chicken on top of the celery.
- Season with oregano, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- Pour soup and chicken broth over chicken.
- Cover and cook on high for 3 hours or until chicken is at least 165*F.
- Slightly roll out biscuits and cut them into quarters, strips, or bite-sized pieces.
- Stir biscuits into the mixture, making sure they are covered with liquid.
- Stir in peas and carrots.
- Remove chicken from crockpot and shred.
- Add chicken back to crockpot.
- Cook for an additional 60 minutes, stirring every 30 minutes.
- Season with salt and pepper before serving.
- Serve immediately following cooking.