Chocolate Cherry Dr Pepper Poke Cake makes for a little twist to a plain ole’ chocolate cake!
This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser, Dr Pepper. All opinions are my own. #OneOfAKindFan
Football is just one of the classic symbols of fall, right? They go hand in hand somewhat and even more so with the holidays. Most families in America spend Thanksgiving afternoon relaxing and watching football.
Why not relax with a delicious Football Cherry Poke Cake? Well, I have no idea why, you should because it will be the perfect pair with a good football game!
This cake is so simple to make, it does have a few different pieces to making it work together, but the end result is simply wonderful and delicious.
Now, the best part is the not so secret ingredient, Dr Pepper! That’s right! Did you know that you can use cake mix with a can of Dr Pepper and no other ingredients? Yes, that means no eggs or oil! This simple trick is just brilliant and it works so well with this delicious cake.
I decided to use a chocolate cake mix paired with a Cherry Dr Pepper, then I added in Cherry Gelatin and a few hours later this Football Cherry Poke Cake was born.
The tricky part is shaping the cake like a football. I used 2 9-inch round cake pans to bake the cakes, then I cut them to shape them like a football. It takes a bit of maneuvering but then you cover it with icing and make it look beautiful!
I stacked the cakes on top of each other to do a layered cake. After you frost it with the icing, you can easily trim off a bit if you need to shape it more.
I picked up our Dr Pepper at Target, right now you can even enter to win an Instagram contest! From Nov. 2 – Dec. 13, those who upload an Instagram photo showing how they are a #OneOfAKindFan of Dr Pepper will be entered for a chance to win a $100 Target GiftCard™. A winner will be awarded each week. Must be 18 or older to enter.
Now, the best part is that you can use this Cartwheel Offer to save even more on Dr Pepper. My hubby likes to enjoy a Dr Pepper with his poke cake. I’m sure your guests will too! From Nov. 1 – Dec. 12, use Cartwheel to receive 5% off of 12-packs and 2-liters of Dr Pepper or 10% off of 6 or 8-packs of bottles and cans.
Be sure to stop by Target to pick up your Dr Pepper for this cake, then enter to win the contest!
Happy Football Season! #CollectiveBias
For more great recipe ideas using Dr Pepper please visit this site!
Chocolate Cherry Dr Pepper Poke Cake
- 1 Box Chocolate Cake Mix or Gluten Free Chocolate Cake Mix
- 1 12 oz Can of Cherry Dr Pepper
- 1 Package Instant Cherry Gelatin
- 2 Containers of Chocolate Whipped Frosting
- White Frosting with Writing Tip
- Preheat the oven to 350*.
- In a mixing bowl, mix the cake mix with the Dr Pepper.
- Pour cake mix evenly into 2 greased 9 inch round pans.
- Bake in the oven per the box instructions for the cake mix.
- Once the cakes are done, carefully remove and let them cool.
- While they are cooling, boil 1 cup of water on the stove and then whisk in the gelatin.
- Whisk in an additional 1 cup of cold water.
- With a fork, poke both of the cakes evenly throughout.
- Pour the liquid gelatin evenly over each cake.
- Place the cakes in the fridge for 2 hours to gel.
- Carefully remove the cakes from the fridge, shaping them on a tray into the football shape. This can be done by using one of the round cakes then trimming the additional round cake to fit the ends of the football. Do this with both cakes.
- Using the chocolate icing, fully frost the cake.
- Use the white writing icing to create the laces on the football.