When going gluten free, I suddenly missed those rich, creamy casserole style meals! It’s sometimes difficult to find the time to make them easily gluten free. It can be done it just takes a lot longer than using regular flours and mixes to make them.
Luckily, I found this easy casserole style recipe for Chicken Tetrazzini on Cooking Light. As soon as I found it, immediately I thought it sounded delicious and hearty! Sort of like my type of comfort food!
I glanced through the ingredients and noticed the only items with gluten are the flour and the pasta…both a simple switch and easily made gluten free!
Right away this went on my menu plan and it came out really well! I adapted a few things for instance I made it in an 9×13 dish instead of 8×8; however, I should of done 2 8×8 pans because it really does make a lot and for just my husband and I…that’s too much!
We ended up freezing some afterwards but it would of made a great dish to serve a batch and freeze a batch!
I also skipped the bread crumbs and did shredded bacon instead. It was yummy! I think the bread crumbs would be great too, but I was all out of gluten free bread!
For those not gluten free…just use your flour and pasta that you love and you are all set!
Time for this tasty dinner!
- 1 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
- Cooking Spray
- 1 Cup Finely Chopped Onion
- 2/3 Cup Finely Chopped Celery
- 3/4 Tsp Ground Black Pepper
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 2 8 oz Cans Pre-Sliced Mushrooms
- 1/2 Cup Dry Sherry
- 2/3 Cup All Purpose Flour or Gluten Free All Purpose Flour
- 3 14.5 oz Cans Chicken Broth
- 2 1/4 Cup Grated Parmesan Cheese Divided
- 4 oz 1/3 Less Fat Cream Cheese
- 1 Lb Uncooked Vermicelli Pasta or Gluten Free Pasta
- 4 Cups Chopped Cooked Chicken Breast
- 1 Slice of Bread or Gluten Free Bread
- Shredded Bacon Optional
- (Instructions Per Cooking Light)
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Begin by cooking the pasta as according to the package and set aside.
- Melt butter in a large stockpot over medium-high heat. Add onion, celery, black pepper, salt, and mushrooms; sauté 4 minutes or until mushrooms are tender. Add sherry; cook 1 minute.
- Weigh or lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Gradually add flour to pan; cook 3 minutes, stirring constantly (mixture will be thick) with a whisk. Gradually add broth, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat.
- Add 1 ¾ cups Parmesan cheese and cream cheese, stirring with a whisk until cream cheese melts. Add pasta and chicken; stir until blended. Divide pasta mixture between 2 (8-inch-square) glass or ceramic baking dishes coated with cooking spray.
- Place bread in food processor; pulse 10 times or until coarse crumbs form. Combine breadcrumbs and ½ cup Parmesan cheese; sprinkle evenly over pasta. At this point also add shredded bacon.
- Bake at 350° for 30 minutes or until lightly browned and bubbly. Remove casserole from oven; let stand 15 minutes.
- To freeze unbaked casserole: Prepare through Step 5. Cool completely in refrigerator. Cover with plastic wrap, pressing to remove as much air as possible. Wrap with heavy-duty foil. Store in freezer for up to 2 months.
- To prepare frozen unbaked casserole: Thaw casserole completely in refrigerator (about 24 hours). Preheat oven to 350°. Remove foil; reserve foil. Remove plastic wrap; discard wrap. Cover casserole with reserved foil; bake at 350° for 30 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 1 hour or until golden and bubbly. Let stand 15 minutes.
did you make this recipe?
Make sure to tag #mommyhatescoooking on Instagram and follow for more @momhatescooking
Recipe Adapted From: Cooking Light
Disclosure: I am a partner with Cooking Light; however, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
Have you visited our Products list? Be sure and check out Mommy Hates Cooking Products and Services.
Need more recipe ideas? Check out the Recipe Index by Mommy Hates Cooking.
Leave A Reply!