I mentioned when I posted about Garlic Bread Pizza last year, that it is so easy to recreate pizza shop items at home for much less! I’m sharing another recipe today that I find somewhat funny because these are advertised at many pizza places as pizza sticks when essentially all you are doing is cutting the pizza in stick form or strips instead of pie size slices. Easy…so easy!
When we had a garage sale a few weeks ago, we needed an easy dinner because I was beyond starving and exhausted from the sale, so I had my husband swing by and pick up a couple pizzas. We have a few locations in our area with gluten free options so that was a perfect choice for us. What wasn’t a perfect choice? The cost! We paid $22 for those TWO pizzas…$22?? My heart sunk.
All that went through my mind was how I have every ingredient needed in my pantry for pizza, plus homemade is just better! Regardless, we were in a pinch and needed dinner so it is life…but I try to avoid that as much as possible. We have homemade pizza all the time and this last time I decided to go with a different method to make these Pizza Sticks!
I also decided to grill these instead of baking, but you can use your preferred method!
It’s simply a cheese pizza, cut into strips then use the pizza sauce for dipping! This is delicious plus kid friendly for those little fingers!
Need more recipe ideas? Check out the Recipe Index by Mommy Hates Cooking.
Cheese Pizza Sticks
- 1 Pizza Dough or Gluten Free Pizza Dough
- 2 Cups Shredded Italian Blend Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Pizza Sauce
- Pizza Sauce for Dipping
- Crushed Garlic Optional
- After you have prepared your pizza dough, roll it out and form the crust.
- At this point, we used a 9 inch cast iron skillet and spread the dough in the skillet. Based on reviews, you can also use tin foil and roll it out into a circle as well as a cast iron griddle, or pizza pan.
- Next, place the pizza on the grill keeping it at medium heat. Let this grill for about 5-8 minutes, watch it closely to be sure it does not burn.
- Remove the pizza from the grill and flip it over so that the uncooked side is facing down and the cooked side is up.
- Build the pizza by topping it with sauce and plenty of cheese and garlic if you want!
- Now, place the pizza back on the grill for 5-8 minutes to cook the bottom of the pizza.
- Remove then cut into strips that are the perfect size for dipping!
- Oven Cooking - If you want to do this in the oven simply roll out the dough and top the pizza and bake for 15 minutes at 400*.
- Serve with pizza dipping sauce.