This past week I set out to make a new style of calzone. I have to say it was an instant hit with my husband. If it were not for the fact I had a piece to take a picture of, I may not have even got a bite! By the time I got back to the kitchen, he had already eaten nearly all of it! This is a great way to add a new twist to calzone.
This recipe uses the bread machine pizza dough. I love this dough and have not branched out much on other versions as I am so fond of this one, I simply can’t change!
Need more recipe ideas? Check out the Recipe Index by Mommy Hates Cooking.
Italian Chicken Calzone
- 2 Large Chicken Breast Cubed
- 1/4 Cup Fat Free Italian Dressing
- 1/2 Red Onion Chopped
- 1 Cup Marinara Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Asiago Cheese
- 1/2 Cup Mozzarella Cheese
- 1 Pizza Crust
- Olive Oil Optional
- Preheat the oven to 400*.
- In a large skillet cook the chicken in the Italian dressing. I used enough to cover the bottom of the skillet and let this cook until all the Italian dressing had been soaked up by the chicken.
- Spray non stick cooking spray on a large cookie sheet. Roll out the dough in a circle, and spread the marinara sauce around the 1/2 of the dough, think semi-circle. Then cover with the toppings. We used the chicken, chopped onion, cheese, and then a few sprigs of fresh parsley.
- Once the toppings are on then take one side of the dough and pull over to the other side, making a semi-circle. To seal the edges, you can use a fork or any other grooved utensil.
- Once it was sealed, I poured a little bit of olive oil and sprinkled the top with a bit more fresh parsley.
- Bake this in the oven for 15-20 minutes until dough is slightly browned.