Make a great side dish today with Zucchini & Onion Gratin!
A few weeks a good, I spied this tasty dish over on Cooking Light. I instantly knew that I had to make this. I had plenty of zucchini and onions to use up, plus we were planning to grill steaks so I thought it would be the perfect side dish.
It was beyond amazing…beyond, friends.
Just the smell in the oven had me drooling. My parents were over too and they both were going back for seconds! I think it’s that crispy layer of cheese that really knocks this one out of the park.
I adapted the recipe just a bit, primarily because I’m a lazy cook and I wanted it to be a little bit less steps. I guess lazy isn’t the right word for it, occupied, maybe?
I cook with a toddler at my feet, so as few steps as possible are really the best meals for us!
Be sure to make this one for your next side dish, it’s perfect!
What do you need for Zucchini & Onion Gratin?
- Olive Oil
- Sweet Onion
- Tomato Paste
- Lemon Rind
- Shaved Parmesan Cheese
Simply ingredients that will make the best side dish!
Zucchini & Onion Gratin
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 Large Sweet Onion Thinly Sliced
- 1 Tbsp Tomato Paste
- 2 Tsp Lemon Rind Grated
- 1 Tsp Fresh Thyme
- 1/4 Tsp Salt
- 1/4 Tsp Freshly Ground Black Pepper
- 1 1/2 Lbs Zucchini Thinly Sliced
- 1/4 Cup Shaved Parmesan Cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375*.
- In a large cast iron skillet, warm up the oil to medium heat. Then, add in the onion, tomato paste, lemon grind, thyme, salt, and pepper. Let this cook for about 5 minutes, then add in the zucchini. Let this cook an additional 5 minutes until the onion and zucchini are soft and well coated with the oil.
- Spray a dish with non stick cooking spray, then carefully pour the mixture into the dish. Top it with cheese and cover with foil. Bake in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Remove it carefully from the oven, remove the foil.
- Turn the broiler on high, then carefully place the dish uncovered back into the oven for about 1-2 minutes until lightly browned on top.