Vegan Shepherd’s Pie is the perfect meatless, hearty meal.
This post is sponsored; however, all thoughts and opinions are my own.
This time of year, I long for hearty, comfort meals. Do you? We have been working to fit in at least 1-2 meatless meals a week to give some balance to our menu. I’ll admit some weeks I fail miserably, but my entire family was in love with this Vegan Shepherd’s Pie.
I decided to use lentils in this dish along with lots of mushrooms. Did you know mushrooms are a great source of antioxidants, vitamins, and fiber?
As a kid, I had an aversion to mushrooms. I actually thought they were all poisonous because our parents told us not to eat those mushrooms that grow in the yard. I told my grandma they were when she was making us spaghetti as a kid. Wouldn’t you know it…she got sick! She got very sick, it wasn’t the mushrooms though it was something else entirely; however, I associated them with that for a very long time.
It wasn’t until I hit adulthood that I realized they were actually really good, and I basically gave them a bad rap all these years. Sad, isn’t it? I have been making up for it because between this Vegan Shepherd’s Pie and Stuffed Mushrooms, I eat them quite a bit!
I sauteed the mushrooms and onions in a few tablespoons of Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil. It gives a nice subtle flavor to the mushrooms and onions, plus makes them so soft and delicious. It is USDA certified organic, making it a great choice for your recipes.
I enjoy that it has a robust, full flavor, which really compliments this meal.
Once I had the vegetables nicely sauteed, I added in additional mixed vegetables, beef broth, and seasonings. I decided to add in just a bit of Vegan flour to get it a bit more thick in consistency, just a tablespoon.
Then, I topped the entire dish with some homemade mashed potatoes. I like to spread them out across a 9×13 dish. Once they bake in the oven, let them get to where the tips of the potatoes are nicely browned to perfection.
This Vegan Shepherd’s Pie was scrumptious and perfect on a cold day. I suggest you check out even more that’s #TrendingintheKitchen on social media too.
Vegan Shepherd’s Pie
- 8 Medium Baking Potatoes
- 1/8 Cup Coconut Milk or Almond Milk
- 1 Tbsp Vegan Butter
- Salt/Pepper to Taste
- 2 Tbsp Pompeian Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3 Cups Sliced Portobella Mushrooms
- 1/4 Cup Diced Onion
- 4 Cups Vegetable Broth
- 3 Cups Mixed Vegetables
- 1 1/2 Cups Brown Lentils Rinsed & Uncooked
- 2 Tbsp Ketchup
- 1 Tbsp Vegan Flour
- 1 Tsp Garlic Powder
- 1 Tbsp Rosemary
- Salt/Pepper to Taste
- Preheat the oven to 375*.
- Place the potatoes in the stock pot, cover with water and bring to a boil.
- Let them boil on low until soft.
- Peel the potatoes and place in a large bowl to mix.
- Add in the milk and butter, along with salt and pepper to taste and mix well.
- While the potatoes are cooking, add in the olive oil to a large stock pot and warm up.
- Add in the mushrooms and onion, cook for about 10 minutes until soft.
- Add in all remaining ingredients.
- Stir to combine.
- Let warm up to a low boil for about 15 minutes.
- Stir occasionally.
- Spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick spray.
- Pour the filling mixture into the dish and spread evenly.
- Add the potatoes and spread evenly with a fork.
- Add a dash of rosemary, salt, and pepper to the top.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until potatoes are slightly browned.
did you make this recipe?
Make sure to tag #mommyhatescoooking on Instagram and follow for more @momhatescooking