After my 1st attempt with Chili Pepper Pasta from my Italian Cookbook, I was on to the next recipe to tackle, Tuscan Chicken.
I started this out planning to go with the method in the cookbook; however, I quickly changed my mind the more I got into making this. I ended up mixing up several ingredients and adapting a bit of the method as well.
- 3 Chicken Breast cut in 1/2
- 1 Tsp Olive Oil
- 1 Onion thinly sliced
- 2 Red Bell Peppers sliced (I used Green Peppers)
- 1 Clove of Crushed Garlic
- 1 1/4 Cup Pasta Sauce
- 2/3 Cup Dry White Wine
- 1 Tsp Dried Oregano
- 1 Can of Great Northern Beans drained
- Bread Crumbs
- Preheat oven to 400*.
- In a large skillet pour in the olive oil and cook the chicken breast until completely done. Once these are cooked, set them aside on a clean plate. Using the same skillet cook both the peppers and the onion until they become soft.
- As soon as veggies are ready, add in the garlic, pasta sauce, wine, oregano, and beans. Stir this mixture up and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- While this is simmering, spray a baking dish with non stick spray. I used and 8×8 dish. Then, pour the veggie and sauce mixture in the dish covering the bottom.
- Next, place the chicken breast on top of the veggie mixture and sprinkle the dish with bread crumbs. I used enough to lightly cover the entire dish.
- Bake this in the oven for 10-15 minutes until the bread crumbs become crispy.
After making this dish, I have to say it took quite a bit longer than what I was expecting from start to finish; however the original method in the book was not working for me which caused some of the extended time. My son was patiently waiting on me to get out of the kitchen and back to playing with him.
Another fun moment was my excitement to pair Tuscany Bread with my Tuscan Chicken until I reread the recipe a few hours before dinner it said dough must sit for 10 hours! I learned another lesson, I need to reread the recipes a few times first.
Need more recipe ideas? Check out the Recipe Index by Mommy Hates Cooking.